Sony CDP-CA70ES CD Players

4.28/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $300.00

Replaced the CDP-CA7ES. 5 Disc changer.

Submitted by lenhoffcpa@yahoo.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
Replaced the regular Sony with a used ES model. Noticed the difference. I was unsure if I would but there was an element of clarity that surpassed a fine non ES model.

THus far I was impressed by the volume control on the remote and it has functions I don't care to learn about .It just sounds very, very clean.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by fleto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I feel compelled to write a note of caution to anyone buying this unit.Beware that it may not play home-made cdrs,specifically those made on Memorex cdrs.After much initial trouble with this unit that may have resulted from shipping, I discovered that it would not play my cdrs made on Memorex discs.That is frustrating to someone putting his record and tape collection on cd.Again,I'd like to caution anyone buying this unit,it will not play Memorex cdrs.
With that complaint out of the way,if you are a not a big user of cdrs,you may enjoy this unit.The sound is crisp and clear,even using low end RCA plugs.It comes with gold end plugs,but I didn't use them yet.Nor have I tried the optical plug.The dymanic range is excellant with nice defined bass and smooth treble.I can't complain about the sound at all;actually,it's one of the nicest cd players I've heard.
For anyone who has used Sony products before,the unit easy to operate.Nothing exciting or difficult.The remote is the typical Sony remote.Again,nothing exciting.
If you can find this unit on sale,it might be worth it.If I had to do it again,I'd buy it locally and bring some of my home made discs to make sure it plays them.

Purchased At:   gear4less

Submitted by sdh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have had serious problems with this unit playing CD-Rs. When I first got it, there were no problems. Now, it generates tons of digital noise with virtually every CD-R I own. I sent it in for factory service under the warranty, and they replaces the laser and the motor. Still no improvement. I'm to the point where I'll have to go buy a different model. Caveat emptor. NB: I was using the digital optical out to my B&K Reference 20 preamp and Sunfire Cinema Grand amp.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wonderful full clear sound when connected to es amplifier and vienna acoustic speakers.

Submitted by Steve a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great player, great value, great warranty!

I bought this player to replace my Sony ES single-disc player in my office. It was 11 years old with thousands upon thousands of hours of use and the laser went out. It was the second from the best model at the time and retailed for $900.

The Sony ES CDP-CA70ES 5-disc changer I replaced it with has even better sound than the old player had. It has a clear, exciting, and involving sound through the Sony TA-F444ESX integrated amp and NHT SB2 speakers it is connected to. My office rocks, to say the least!

Purchased At:   Sound Advice (Tweete