Sony CDP-CX255
Description: 200 Disc changer

Submitted by Sparky Blueshoes a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased this almost 15 years ago, when they first came out in '97. At the time, there were units selling for 1, 3 & 5 discs which I though was ok but when I saw this unit, having 200 discs, I went for it.

My reason was, rather than storing CD discs in their cases, I had a storage place IN the unit and in the twist of a knob, I was able to find and play the music (disc) I wished without searching through all the cases. This eliminated the cases from hanging around, storing them in a closet or attic. Being able to create a "program" of music I wanted to go back to whenever I wished (actually three programs). To play CDs randomly or continuously.

I read some reviews that said it was difficult, inputting the text in, to identifying the CDs in their locations. I found that not to be the case. By using the remote (which has the alpha-numerics on it and came with the unit), along with the selector knob and buttons on the unit simultaneously, I found it very easy. I set up the 1st hundred by artists, the next hundred by groups, music type, era and lastly, Christmas.

To make it even easier in locating the music you're looking for, two "Books" were supplied with the player, that held the accompanying CD booklets in sleeves, where at a glance, the music can be found.

I think the purchase of this unit was a great investment on my part but I find that it no longer is available new from the manufacturer. I highly recommend the purchase of a unit if one should turn up, due to someone upgrading to more technically advanced equipment.

Submitted by Josh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit about 2 years ago and have been extremely happy with it. About 6 months ago I purchased a CX270 and now use this one as a slave to that one. The CX255 has been a real joy to use. It has optical outs which allows me to run to my receiver using an optical cable and make digital copies onto my MD's.

When I looked at getting a Mega Changer, I decided I wanted one with disc titling capability and boy has that helped. It makes it so much easier to keep track of all the discs. I have also become quite fond of the Delete file feature which allows you to tell it what tracks you don't like, and they are then skipped automatically. This can be done for each of the 200 discs.

I'm not crazy about the remote, but I have gotten used to it. I've never had a disc jam in this unit. It has operated flawlessly. I also liked the CD-Text recognition. It's nice to have track titles appear as well for those discs. Overall, I really have enjoyed this unit. I just plain ran out of room in it and bought a second changer to go with it.

Submitted by Tyler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great CD player. No problems whatsoever. No CD's have been jammed. Has optical output, and Auxillary in, which I haven't used but it could be nice if you needed it. Not sure about the cost, I received it as a gift. Giving the unit a solid 5 stars, cause it's incredibly great.

Submitted by gary rittermeyer a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had these machines well over a year. iI would highly recommend this product to anyone.

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
I love this machine i think how spoiled i am to never have to get up and change cd's like others...i love all the memory functions, such as delete track, grouping, and programing from multiple cds...one thing i dislike is the time of transfering cds and the loud noise but i guess thats common for a carousel...the only technical problem ive ever had is if i do group play all disc shuffle, occasionaly it will just stop, when not all tracks have played, kind of annoying but oh well