Sony CDP-CA9ES
Description: Sony ES 5 Disc Cd-Changer

Submitted by madrigalr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Okay. Well I had been searching for a new CD player for about a month. I purchased three models, the Sony CA70ES, the NAD c541i; and the Sony CA9ES. I chose the latter. Why? Because it had bass. I listen to Massive Attack and Radiohead. I need bass! The bass sounds great on this unit. The highs are well defined as well and I'm actually hearing little sounds I had never heard before.

The NAD c541i was incredibly accurate but it didn't deliver the clarity I needed on the thumps and hums.

The only negative - Vocals sound airy and scratchy sometimes. And often it sounds as if the singer is behind the band. Know what I mean? But that might be my connection. I have two-way Advent Baby IIs - no subwoofer.

Purchased At:   J&R Music World

Submitted by P. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I preferred the sound of this unit's DAC to that of the MSB Link D/A. Strangely enough, it's the same DAC that's in the Sony DVP-s7000, but this unit sounds better to me. I wonder how long this unit will stick around given the high price and the influx of Sony SACD changers. Eliminated the harshness in my system my Rotel added - so pleasant to listen to, there's a subtle grace to the treble. I have admittedly mixed feelings toward Sony, but not their ES CD Players.

Sure, there's better stuff out there but you'll have to trade the disc changer convenience, or get a pricey external Dac (my recommendation: Entech 205.2 - which BTW is for sale, contact me if you're interested). Have had no problems with this unit - get one if you still can, just don't pay retail!

Submitted by Leo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got this CD player for free due to a shipping mishap (supposed to be $460). It needed immediate warranty repair on the tray. Since then it's been four years and I can say I still like it. At the time it had a lot of features other players didn't at the price. The disc xchange was a fairly new feature at the time and it works great. Using good interconnects and speakers that sound coming from it is wonderfully detailed. I compared it to the Adcom and Rotel of the time and while I don't believe either one of them sounded any better or worse the Sony clearly has the better user interface which is why I bought it. What's the point of having a nice CD player if you need to think about what you're doing just to skip a track?

Purchased At:   Audio Video Warehouse

Submitted by Kocho a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review to my older review below. I have the unit for 8 months now. I have it hooked up to a Sony STR DE 333 ES receiver via optical cable to the DVD/LD input of the receiver. Why the DVD? The sound of the digital to analog converter there (24 bit/96KHz) is clearly superior to the CD player's own DAC. Additionally, I think the CD input in the receiver either uses a different DAC or there is another piece of circuitry that makes it sound inferior to the DVD input. With the DVD input the base is deeper, more detailed and cleaner. The dynamics are better. With a pair of good headphones (Sennheiser HD 600) this is apparent immediately, but is audible with decent speakers too. The major reason I write this review is to share the problem I had with the player: after a month or two break-in it starts making mechanical noise audible between the 3 and the 6th song on most CDs (starts 10 to 20 minutes into the disk and disappears after that: no noise in the beginning or the end of the disk, due to the position of the laser and the CD rotation speed combination). This is due to some mechanical resonance inside the unit and is very annoying if you are close to the unit and the music plays soft or between the songs. I had the unit serviced by Sony, in two weeks I got it back with the transport replaced. The same problem reappeared almost immediately. I returned it for service again. This time they sent me a brand new unit (marked that it complies with Sony standards as of January 2000). Same problem again, a bit less audible, but nevertheless there. I suppose the design is flawed. I originally bought this unit because I hoped its sound would be good enough. And it is better than almost any changer below $3-400 dollars. But since I end-up listening via the optical output which gives better sound, it really makes no difference for the sound if I were using almost any $100 dollars player with optical output. Advice? Get a good DVD changer for casual listening instead. This Sony unit is fine only if your amp is in the sub $400 price range and your speakers are not the most revealing type. And in this case you’ll be better off getting a 200 CD changer – very convenient.

Submitted by orbital a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been auditioning various 5 disk changers and stumbled on the CA9ES at a clearance sale. I picked it up for $300, comparable to the prices of the other changers I had been looking at. I was very pleased with the solid sound quality of the player. The sound is full and clear and very detailed without being bright. The bass has a nice roundness to it and separation and depth is wonderful. A solid player, close to justifying the $700 list price.