ROTEL RCD-990 CD Players

4.92/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by Tom B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
Not much more I can add to what has already been said about the RCD-990 CD Player.

I found one owned by a gentleman who never really used it because he preferred his $5000 DVD player. So it was basically new. The player was absolutely spotless, the remote still had the plastic film on protecting the face and the box and manual looked like they had never been touched.

I had read all the reviews that are displayed below before buying this player, so I had very very high expectations.
I have to say I was not disapointed one single bit. It was even better than I imagined it would be.

I recommend if you find one used you buy it immediately.
Do not haggle on the price, or some one may steal it out from under you.

Submitted by Karlotta a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Rotel RCD 990 has been in my system for 3 years. I was lucky to get one at all. I snuck it out of the store! Not really. This player is rugged and the drawer platter mechanism closes with the authority of a Lexus. Then the clamp stabilizes the disc and the music begins.

The sound is detailed, resolving, but never bright. It is well suited to classical music, as it's dynamics and pace and rhythm excel truly. And when you get the feeling to upgrade, buy an outboard DAC or upsampling DAC like Bel Canto DAC 1 and enjoy the music even more.

Submitted by Nick a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had this player for nearly 2.5 years now. It is just awesome. I had auditioned many CD players before this one and was never really happy for one reason or another. This was a little more expensive than the others but well worth it. Many people have criticized its looks but personally I find it is one of the best looking CD players around, it looks like a tank and is built like one. I only wish it had a dither button like the RCD-991 that has replaced it. You have to go through a series of steps to change the dither on this machine. Other than that, it's nearly perfect, sonically speaking. From what I know, the only difference between this machine and the RCD-991 is the transport mechanism. There were no more CDM9-Pro units left to continue making the 990 so Rotel switched to a cheaper transport (don't know which one) but also dropped the price. The two machines probably sound identical, but the 990 would have to be a better transport if used with a separate DAC. It is one of the few audio pieces to be considered an instant collectible because of its limited production run, reasonable price and most important, its sound quality.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Steve a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 1998

Bottom Line:
I've had this unit in my system for almost two years now. Ya,I think I'll keep it for another two. Great player. Rotel kinda outdid themselves on this one. If you have one, you are lucky, if not, good luck finding one. As far as the slow response time, oh well. I tend to listen to a recording straight through, so it does not matter. Hey, better to short change the player in that area as opposed to the audio section.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Lars Møberg-Poulsen a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1997

Bottom Line:
In my recent search for a new cd-player I found the Rotel 990 to be second to none. I mostly listen to chamber music and orchestral music. I find the transparency and control of the 990 fantastic. Strings are reproduced with far more air on this player than on any other I have ever heard.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener