ROTEL RCD-970 CD Players

4.56/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

High performance Cd player

Submitted by Benjamin Clark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
For anyone looking for excellent sound at a modest price, the Rotel RCD-970 is an ideal choice. The construction is solid, with a heavy faceplate and CD tray that opens and shuts with authority. But mostly what sets this unit apart from the competition is the sound. It is very musical, detailed and rhythmic. There is no trace of harshness or glare. In direct comparison with the Cambridge, I found the Rotel to go a half-octave deeper in bass, and to image precisely whereas the Cambridge tended to smear instruments across the soundstage. I haven't had the opportunity to compare it to the Rega, but would be very surprised if the Rega were more musical. You can listen to the Rotel for hours without fatigue, and with total involvement in the music. And if the price seems high to you (especially if you are used to mass-market Asian brands) keep in mind that the CD player is your source, and no matter how good the rest of your system your sound will never be better than what comes out of your CD player. I use Adcom electronics, XLO interconnects & cables, and Epos 11 speakers, and the Rotel is a wonderful match. I won't comment on the Rotel's remote as I've never used it, or on the display as I couldn't care less what it looks like as long as it sounds as sweet as this unit does. Highly recommended.

Submitted by Arthur K a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
The 970 BX, is a fine player for the money.
I used it for 3 years with an AUDIOLAB 8000 A Integrated amp. and the combination had a particular "magic" to it.
This player is not 'warm' or 'sweet' sounding (like the Marantz CD 63 SE, for instance), but what you get is an exact reproduction of what's on the silver disk, no more and no less.
Perfect for Classical Music listeners, where the various instruments come alive, and if there's any harshness in the sound you can be sure it's in the recording.
The negative of this is that badly recorded CD's sound exactly that...bad.
Since then my system has gone a long way, so the faithful 970 BX was traded in for the Big Brother of the ROTEL family, the mighty RHCD 10 'Mitchi', which is a player to 'die for' but then again, it costs 5 times the price..

The RCD 970 BX is a brilliant mid priced player, and if you like your music pure and simple, you will get many happy hours listening to it.

Submitted by Gary O. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is the player for those on a budget.This keeps up with the best of them,smooth and good sounstage.Sound is very natural,not processed.A BARGAIN,buy one and be happy.

Submitted by peter jansen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I buy this (used) player ca. one year ago. At listening I was negative suprised and thougt to myself : were is the all the music gone ?!
I realy felt disappointed at home listening to my favorit music in my one house at the Rotel CD 970 BX player.
Before this Rotel I listen to a Yamaha CDX 593 cd-player.

This Rotel CD player brings the music so simple and natural. (no special effects and extra tunning). It likes to me I was realy missing some stereo en depth.

But after a few weeks off listening I likes the sound better and better! And now I hear so mutch music details more. it's a good balanced player with a studdy bass, pretty fast, and a great dynamic range.

I think the company slogan is a wel choosen pay-off:
'enjoy the music'

because I realy do now!

[ I combinated this player in a set with the Rotel RA 985BX and Viva speakers.] (Viva Vivace)

Submitted by Francesco Garcia Bazan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I like this player cause of its analitical approach when reproducing music. You can really detect a bad recording. It has great dinamics, it matches perfectly well with different type of music (from jazz to rock to classical)
I would better describe as an all terrain cd player. In my case it makes a wonderful couple with my B&W 302 and the Rotel RBX970 amplifier.
Buy it with confidence !!!

Wood Technology: