ROTEL RCD-965BX CD Players

4.76/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Submitted by moonbeam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
How can I expect any more from a 200$ CDP?
Good detail, good dynamic, good balance in all three range (high, mid, low) and an incredible soundstage
Before having this, I can't believe that a CDP can make such a great improvement in the soundstage - simply wider, deeper and clearer

Submitted by Andreas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this CD in 1993 for 4500 SEK (Around $600) and it's been playing on a daily basis. For a few years with an Audio Alchemy DDE v1.0, but recently as a standalone player.
Recently I purchased a clock from Net Audio in the Uk (www.net-audio.co.uk) and installed it my self (good detailed instructions on the website, and emails from the founder/owner of the company convinced me that it was doable).
I have never had a better upgrade! The best $100 I spent on my audiosystem...
I recently tested Cambridge C640, Marantz SA7001 and Rega Apollo (and Arcam cd72) - and the only player that I thought was better was the Rega Apollo but it's a bit pricey...
TIP - buy a RCD 965 (LE or discreete if you can find one..) on ebay, install a clock and be amazed.

Purchased At:   Radiocentralen, Umeå

Submitted by Johnno88 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
Price shown above is Australian $.
Purchased the 965BX new in 1992 to use in my then system of Naim 42/Snaps/110 amp & Naim IBL speakers. It sounded great right from the start. However, the Naim system, though musical & exciting to listen to, began to be a bit overbearing. About a year ago I started to replace my system starting with the speakers then the amp & now the CD player.
The Rotel proved to be an excellent musical player
& very reliable. I never got tired of listening to it with its good alround performance with jazz, blues, rock & (my wifes) classical CDs. Thanks Rotel for 14 years of listening pleasure.
It was a hard task finding a player to replace it. Ended up listening to Rotel 1072, Rega Apollo, Marantz 17, Shanling T80, Jungson SACD & the Consonance CD120 Linear. The CD 120 Linear proved to be the best for my tastes & system.

If you can find a good cheap 2nd hand 965BX buy it

Current system:
Consonance CD120 Linear
Analogue Audio Puccini SE (ebay buy)
Vandersteen 1C speakers
Vandenhull Thunderline i/cs
DH Labs T14 spkr cables.

Purchased At:   Vince Ross Audio Per

Submitted by neil_andrew_terry a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I got the 965 in june 1993 second hand and have been using it as my main source ever since.At the time it was the best cd player around and I think it still has the capability to show up many players costing much more. I tend to listen to music through headphones alot and my sennheiser 565´s do the job wonderfully(I´d also recommend these to anyone !)The player has had a considerable ammount of use and still surprises me with it´s warm, vinyl like sound.I am thinking of upgading the player to the new Rotel cd 02 due to the fact that some cds dont play and skip. Don´t know why this happens, but there it is !!!I would consider adding a trichord 3. if I thought it was easy to do !

Purchased At:   2nd hand

Submitted by frenchmann a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
This player really sparkles. in it's time there was nothing better for less than a thousand pounds, and although these days it's been surpassed, it still nocks the spots of most budget players, and even some midrangers. I originally auditioned mine in 1993 along with a marantz (think it was the 52 at the time). there was no comparison. recently i upgraded the clock and the sound improved slightly. if you planning to spend anything less than £300 on a CD player, i'd recommend buying one of these on ebay (you can pick them up for £50) simply because it'll sound better HONEST!

Wood Technology: