ROTEL RCD-951 CD Players

4.74/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

burr-brown 20-bit d/a hdcd

Submitted by itaboada a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I use the RCD951 along with a Nakamichi RE10 Reciever and e:XL25 energy speakers.

In general I'm very pleased with this CD player. The ouput is very balanced in the spectrum, the soundstage is very good and it's easy to isolate specific instruments in an orchestra.

Purchased At:   Danby Radio

Submitted by AURYN a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
As many others before I am writing about the 961, not the 951, sorry.

OK, finally I have a complete system. It is what many of you could describe as low - budget system but I love how it sounds. I have heard many REALLY expensive systems (Krell, Tannoy Dimension, Wilson Benech, Electrocompaniet... blah blah blah) and I can hear the difference but, for the money and, by the momment, I love this:

B&W 601 S3
Rotel RA-931 MkII Int. Amp.
Rotel RCD-961
QED 25th Ann. Bi-wire
Cubitel 300HQ (high-end Spanish interconnect cable)

(All items reviewed except the Cubitel Cables, very good for 74$ similar from Audioquest will cost twice or more)

RCD 961 is:
- Well built (SURE!!!)
- Have many functions (prog, review, random, reapeat, scan, time...)
- Nice and clear display
- Fast transport with good open/close sound.
- All the functions are also included in the remote.
- HDCD capabilities.

If you have a Rotel AMP as in my own case you can no fail buying this, if you are in low budget you can try buying the NAD C541i (search for the "i" of improved, is the revision of the original C541 which has many problems with CD-R and CD-RW).

Sound:

GOOD JOB ROTEL!!

Purchased At:   Concerto Audio

Submitted by GeoFurtado a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review because I have used this review repeatedly in evaluating my purchases. So far, I've had good success in selecting excellent equipment. I want to thank everyone who has reviewed products, here.

I bought my Rotel from a person who obviously took good care of it. After spending a good deal of time listening to cd's on a Technics SL-PD9 changer (approx $110) and a Panasonic DVD-RA60 player (approx $200), it was like exciting to listen to the Rotel 951.

Clarity is excellent; soundstage is fairly tight; highs and lows are good; there are a few cd's where very highs or lows are not perfect.

Female vocals are clear and precise. Lower end vocals on some cd's can be a little less so. There is a background of quiet with nothing but clarity coming through. There are a few pieces in the extreme high or low ends that are less than optimal, but acceptable. I have recently changed the interconnects and things improved.

Based on the reviews I've read here, I probably would have to pay alot more money for something better.

I really like this player and will keep it.

Some may consider this sacreligious but, I should say that if you can't really spend the extra money for the Rotel, the Technics SL-PD9 is also a remarkably decent changer(the overall sound is not as great as the Rotel, but more than acceptable).

I tried listening to music on the DVD-RA60 and had to turn it off after about an hour....not so the PD9 or the Rotel. I can listen for hours.

If you are in the market for a very good mid-fi player, buy the Rotel. If you can't afford it right now, buy the Technics changer.

I've just bought a Cambridge Audio 500se. I'll try to post a review when I've burned it in and listened to it enough to have an opinion.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by Dwayne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great player! I needed to replace a faithful but in critical condition 11 year old Nakamaichi player. I had been using my DVD player for CDs until a salesman showed me the difference. So I searched for a few months until I narrowed the field down to the NAD C521, Cambridge Audio D300SE, and the Rotel RCD-951. IMHO the NAD sounds a little "softer" and didn't have the attack and soundstage of the Rotel. To get HDCD you have to go up to the C541. The Cambridge was the closest out of anything out there but it was too unforgiving on all except perfectly flawless recordings; otherwise it came off as somewhat bright and "digitally".
May I suggest that when you go to preview any CD player bring not only some of your best CDs but also bring one that you know has a slightly sibilant recording and see how the player does. (I used Amanda Marshall's debut CD)
Once I got the Rotel the Rotel home, hooked it to my NAD 760, allowed it burn-in time, then finally I listened to it. Absolute bliss. If you're thinking of upgrading your system, start with the components first. The difference using the same speakers and replacing the old Nakamichi was amazing. My system has been reborn.
I'll wait for the DVD-A vs. SACD dust to settle. (The Cambridge doesn't come with HDCD.) I had listened to John Fogerty's Centerfield years ago to the point that I almost wore the grooves out of the vinyl. I found out that the CD is in HDCD so I bought it. HDCD still does not have the same warm sound as vinyl but it is wonderfully close. I listened to Dire Straits, John Lee Hooker, Pink Floyd,...as the night flew by. I can now hear details and notes of quiet instruments that I had not heard before. I was floored.
The new 961 is the updated 951. I listened to them both on the same system in the store and was unable to hear a major difference. Furthermore this model is where the point of diminishing returns begins. The 991 is a better player, but not 3Xs better, as is the price.
I am completely happy with this product.

Purchased At:   Audio Express

Submitted by justdave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I feel I owe it to Rotel to sit here and write a review! It's fantastic!
Having 'upgraded' my 8yr old kenwood CD to a Marantz CD600OSE LE I was a little disappointed even after letting it burn in 24/7 for over two weeks. I took the marantz back and got this 951 used for £199 (GBP). As soon as I played the first track I could tell it was special. In fact, EVEN my wife could tell the difference! We both sat up 'til 2am listening to this track and the next. The soundstaging is so 3D its spooky. It feels like I can tell where each instrument is playing in my room, front-to-back as well as side-to-side. Vocals sound so airy and effortless. Bass is deeper and more controlled than before. You can hear picks scraping on strings that just weren't there before. On tracks like 'Just' by Radiohead, guitar licks and solos RIP through the air to get to you where before they just 'got there'. This is the biggest performance upgrade I've enjoyed whilst building my system over the last 10 years. I can't imagine changing this CD player until I win the lottery. I love it!

Purchased At:   Audio Excellence, Ch