ROTEL RCD-865BX CD Players

Submitted by Hoser Rob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this around 1990 and have had absolutely no regrets. I auditioned it against the 855, which had more raves in the "golden-eared" press. Frankly, I thought the 855 was putting in depth where there was none in the recording (the curse of "hi-fi" products), and I couldn't hear the individual players as well. The 865 just lets me listen to the instruments and the playing without digital hack in the treble. Is that too much to ask? By the way, the 865 will reproduce depth pretty well if it's in the recording. Not being enamored of "audiophile" recordings of third rate artists doing piano-and-banjo duets and the like, I'm not an imaging freak. This thing is every bit as musically engaging as my old Rega 2/Grado analog unit at a similar cost. I don't think you can say much more about a CD player.

Submitted by Art S. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
The '865-BX is an excellent player. Rotel's PDM High Linearity Dual-Converter is a very good alternative to the many "grainy"-sounding ladder-type converter player's in it's price range. The sound is also more detailed and less "CD-like" than alot of the bitstream players I've heard, and it has a very believable soundstage. As usual for Rotel, a giant-beater.

I have used this unit as an interim player, until I recently upgraded to an all-Theta digital set up. Although my Theta transport-D/A pair together retail for over 10x as much as the '865-BX, I didn't gain nearly that much in better sound - to put it in simpler terms. This is proof that the Rotel is one of those player's that takes you up to "the point of diminishing returns" that we audiophile's hear so much about. To exceed its performance will cost you plenty!

Purchased At:   Stereo Trading Outlet