ROTEL RCD-1520 CD Players

• Frequency Response: 20-20kHz (+/- 0.5dB)
  • S/N Ratio (IHF A): 100dB
  • IM Distortionce: 0.0045%
  • Max Audio Line Output: 2VRMS
  • Output Impedance: 100 Ohms

Submitted by klassen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2015

Bottom Line:
This rotel is great!
After owning teac/onkyo/denon/pioneer/ca players i have to say this one wins in all areas.
Some reviews say it is to quiet, its not. It just presents a better soundstage, goes very very deep, the bass is all there but controlled and will slam when needed. The amount of detail is also excellent. I searched for quite a while , trying marantz, cambridge audio, naim, and a couple of others but the rotel was just better. I know we all have different tastes/ears and other companies can also make good gear , but for around the same money the rotel is just so good, its a no brainer. Matched with my b&w cm10s, its a fantastic combo..
I liked it so much i went out and bought the rcd-1570 which in my opinion is not that much different for the 1520, besides the dac and xlr.
They say rotel is back..They just never left..
This machine is good , very very good!!

Submitted by Rich H. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have compared many CD players in this price range and could find nothing more musically satisfying than this unit. Vocals are natural and airy. Instruments shine, with no trace of sibilance in the mid's/upper range. Brass instruments are some of the best I've heard, with no annoying overemphasis of muted trumpets, cornets, or feisty trombones. This Rotel is an overachiever in the area of spatiall details and the placement of voices/instruments in a truly convincing soundstage. There is no smearing of detail in any quick transitions between soft and loud passages or fast-tempo numbers. I wouldn't necessarily classify this unit as warm or neutral, but I would classify it as harmonically rich. It has a little punch - but a lot of finesse. Bass is very tight, but never bloated or overstated. Percussion instruments are articulate, but not forceful. Vocals are spot-on. Listen to the best Concord, Capitol and Verve recording of Clooney, Sinatra and Fitzgerald and they're right there with you.

There are only a few engineering quibbles that I have with this player. First of all, I'm not convinced that the slot-load will be trouble-free as time goes on. Secondly, the load-to-play time is quite slow for a music-only player. I would expect an unusual time delayfrom a hybrid CD/DVD player, but I was disappointed in the slow response time in a player of this calibre. Lastly, the user cannot hit the play button and simply walk awaly from the machine before it starts playing. One acturally has to wait until the load cycle has been completed before the play button responds to a command - a feature which I find somewhat annoying. Overall, though, this is one serious music player that convinced me to put-up with some of the minor mechanical inconveniences for the sake of its fantastic sound reproduction. To me, it's all about the music!

Product model year:   2009