ROTEL RCD-1072 CD Players

4.72/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

Burr Brown 1732 D/A converter, HDCD decoding, coaxial digital output, 12V trigger input, removeable power cord, remote control

Submitted by Crols a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
Great CD-Player for the price. Low jitter resulting in good imaging, well delineated notes. It's non-sterile sounding, with low noise, and overall pretty smooth. Like a lot of Rotel equipment there is a slight emphasis in the upper mids and also balancing this with components that have a dip in this area.. or even the speakers themselves being on the smooth side, can tone this done somewhat if it bothers. I run these with a pair of Audio Note AX 2's, gotten on demo stock for $650 cdn, which have a smoothness I've never heard at their price and this probably helps in that regard.. It's also very well built; and though I usually don't care about styling too much I must say it's a pretty attractive cd player. Overall it's a nice balance of warmth and clarity in a budget model.

Submitted by pantomime_horse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
After being more than thrilled by the results of my Rotel pre/pro combination, I felt it was time to audition the RCD-1072 player. Prior to purchasing this player, I was using a Cambridge Audio 640C as the main source in this system. While a good player in its own right, I felt it became very bright at times when used in tandem with the Rotel components. Soon thereafter, I went to the local dealer, Hi-Fi Sales in Cherry Hill, NJ. I auditioned this player and liked what I heard.

It wasn't until after the long burn-in process that the Rotel showed what it could do. It easily bested the Cambridge player. It is a more refined, and dare I say warm, player. The soundstage, particularly the depth, is incredible. When turning up the volume with the Cambridge, the music simply became louder. Turn up the volume with the RCD-1072 and it literally feels like you're moving up rows in an orchestra or rock concert. This player is a very precise unit, and really shines with excellent recordings. I know this has been touched by several reviewers before me, but let me say it again -- the background is extremely quiet.

I've been listening to this unit for just over two years now, and it's been marvelous player. No reliability issues at all, which is always good!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
My 8-year old Njoe Tjoeb died on me. I needed a replacement. I went to the local hi-fi shop. I sampled the Cambridge Audio 840, Rega Apollo, Rotel 1520, and the Rotel 1072 (new old-stock). The Rega Apollo hung-up consistently in loading -- wouldn't buy that particular unit for sure. Once playing, none of them was heads-and-shoulders above the other. And they all sounded nice (maybe I have a tin ear -- I doubt it, and my wife did a true blind test and chose the 1072), some more so than others on any given track. So I bought the least expensive one -- the NOS Rotel 1072 at $499. As opposed to the relatively "smaller" amps they were hooked-up to in the shop, my Krell KAV 500i has really made the 1072 sing once it got home. My view, based on this, is that while a good source is important, clean amperage is key to the listening experience (and I say that having moved up from the Krell KAV 300i).

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Monkey Mouse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased this CD Player to upgrade and old Pioneer unit and to match the Rotel Integrated Amp that I purchased about a year ago. This combo has out of this world value in terms of both sound and pedigree (the CD player has been on the AS recommended list for years now). It competes with units costing up to twice the money.

The Rotel brings clarity and extension (bass and treble) to my rig; switching out the old Pioneer was like night and day. Music of all types sounds good on this player, lifelike and with gusto.

System: Rotel RA-1062 Integrated, Goertz Micro Purl Silver interconnects, Paradigm Mini Monitors v.4.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by mediumjim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2008

Bottom Line:
Recently I've upgraded my system and one of the components was a Single Tray Dedicated CD Player to replace a Denon DCD 1500 that was over 10 years old. After review and listening to several units, I happened upon a Rotel RCD 1072 that blew away many more expensive units.

The Rotel truly brings out every detail, has so much clarity and depth that results in a hugh soundstage. All genre's of music sounds superb on the Rotel. Just an add note, the Rotel RCD 1072 was awarded Best Product by Absolute Sound a few years back and it's clear to see why.

My current system is a Jolida JD302RC Integrated Tube Amp and a Pair of Restored JBL L100A's

This is a true audiophile quality CD player that rivals those costing many time more! I would hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone.

Purchased At:   Shelley's Stereo