ROTEL RCD-02 CD Players

4.9/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Burr Brown PCM 1732 D/A converter, HDCD decoding, coaxial digital output, 12V trigger input, external remote in, remote control, detachable power cord

Submitted by Arjay a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've had this player for a little over 2 months now. I bought it from an online used equipment site just to have a second CD player in a games room in my home. When I hooked it up I was surprised at how good it sounded, so out of curiosity I decided to compare it against the Naim CD5 XS that I own and use on my main system.

It was a bit bright when I ran it head-to-head with the Naim using the Rotel built in DAC, but it still sounded pretty good. Then I was absolutely shocked when I ran it through my Musical Fidelity M1 DAC!!! After hours of listening and playing different redbook discs and HDCD's through the Rotel I honestly couldn't tell the difference between the two players.

This really is a cracker piece of kit!!

The only downside is the display can't be dimmed and might be a bit bright in a dark listening room, but for my purposes it didn't matter at all.

Submitted by M Rainer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2013

Bottom Line:
Astonishing sound from this little guy. Mated with the proper amp and speakers, the sound from the RCD-02 rivals some of the higher end players found on hi-fi store shelves today!

I picked up this player used 4 years ago from a friend who moved overseas, and it plays just as good today as it did then. When the original owner came back, he went out and purchased the RCD-06 due to his love for the 02. I have also heard his (on his system, which is different than mine, of course) and I would bank on anyone being hard pressed to tell the difference between the two in a blind test.

Vocals are light and airy. Bass is deep and envelopes you in a warm blanket of sound. Mids are very detailed and don't get lost in the mix. Instruments and voices stand out and are well defined in their own well defined spaces.

One of the best pieces of equipment I have ever purchased (including Bryston, Marantz, Linn, Rega, and a few others). I also see no reason to change this player as it has a digital output that could be mated with a modern day DAC if I choose to go that route.

Rotel hit a home run with this one.

Submitted by Craig a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
Ok... I have been an audio buff for years and also have been a professional musician. If you have a nice quality amp and good speakers do yourself a favour and get a RCD02 if you can hunt one down .

My god these are extremely beautiful cd players with depth, imaging and pure cleanliness like nothing I have heard before.

I WILL NEVER SELL MINE!

LOVE IT!

Submitted by AudioAddict1123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2009

Bottom Line:
Over the course of 4 months I had 3 different entry-level players in my system, trying to complete an update (and hopefully upgrade) of much of my stuff that dated back to the mid-90's. I started with a Cambridge 640Cv2 (highs were way too bright), then tried a NAD C542 (very nice all-around), and finished with the RCD-02. The Rotel -02 is the last man standing.

I won't itemize my gear, but will say the result of my upgrade means I have a lot less metal on my shelves (scrapped all the external processors--DAC, eq, DIP are all gone). Since sonic performance of one piece is dependent on all the other, it was important for me to make sure the moon and stars were all in alignment. The Rotel got me there. The NAD C542 was pretty good, but since I upgraded to a new Rotel amp, I think there was some kind of symbionic meld with the RCD-02 (possibly 100% psychological). As other reviewers have noted, there was an opening of the soundstage both left to right, as well as depth. While the Cambridge machine really adds a lot to the low end, it was mostly in the form of "boom". The Rotel's low end is a much more defined, tight and punchy bass (especially bass drums). The highs on the Rotel are equally clean, and not bright and sizzling like on the Cambridge.

This is a tough machine to find, but well worth the effort. I got mine off a craigslist auction and convinced the seller to send it to me. The Cambridge and NAD are easily found from authorized dealers (which made it easy to take 'em back). At a fraction of the cost of Rotel's newer RCD-1072, the -02 is a real value, with only a small amount of compromise in sound quality.

Submitted by Mark A a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well, I finally put in the last piece of the puzzle. For years now, I've been listening to a sup-standard mid-90's pioneer six-pack CD played through my Rotel RSX-1055 receiver and my Vandersteen Model-1 speakers.

I knew I needed a new CD player to get the most out of my system, so I started researching. This website and others all pointed to Rotel RCD-02 for the best bet. I found a demo unit (with low miles) at a local high-end store for $350.00.

The first thing i noticed was the openness of the sound and the depth of the stage. The sound stage is not very wide (barely breaches the speakers), but the depth is amazing.

The individual instruments all find there own place within the stage and every detail of the recording is cleanly revealed. The bass is punchy and fast (very much like my Thorens turntable). The mid-bass is clear and defend. The mids flat and detailed. I did notice a bit of exageration in the uper-midrange, (this is what other reviewers refer to as the Rotel sound), it is a very slight however and it is not necessarily a bad thing. the highs are glorious, clean, clear and not harsh or fatiguing. I heard my Vandys thanking me with every note.

The Rotel RCD-02 does lack several of the (seldom, if ever used) features found on similar CDPs, such as a headphone jack, display dimmer and programmability. This is a no frills machine.

The build quality is top-notch, heavy and solid. There's no doubt this is a serious CDP. The drawer is a little noisy when opening/closing, but that doesn't affect its sound quality so, what the heck.

If you can get your hands on one of these, do it. You will not be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Audio Video Today