Rega Planet CD Players

4.32/5 (155 Reviews) MSRP : $795.00

Submitted by Capeman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
This a great little CD player that can be picked up quite cheaply second hand. If you can stand top loaders this one could make you think twice, i find it very easy to live with.
The Planet as all good CD players should do, delivers good detail and gives an accurate representation of whats on the disc. Solid bass with a natural feel is something noticed right away. The Planet just sounds right, natural, as it should, proving itself good value over and over again.

CD text and the ability to turn off the display are little things that aid the late night listening sessions.

Submitted by bobbo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
First of all, this player looks very cool. This is clearly not the main reason for buying a new CD player but it helps. I figured my old Philips player wasn't state of the art and that it might be an idea to try something else. After all it looked horrible and the remote was among the worst piece of design i have ever seen. I wasn't sure that I would actually hear any differance with my current equipment, Audiolab 8000 A and Dali 606, but to my supprise I allmost instantly started to like the sound of this player.

The sound of this player is very natural and in some sense modest. Clearly there are players that are more revealing. I figure people with extermly revealing equipment, say barn door sized electrostats, would find this player rather dull. The Planet adds warmth to the sound and it doesn't feel like it adds any extra stress to the sound. Which is good if you intend to listen more than 30 minutes. As a person sitting around the house doing anti social stuff such as writing reviews of CD players you have to love this "I can listen for 6 hours straight without getting stressed out' feature. The bass is also a plus beaing very thight and easy to follow and feels very musical.

The only weakness I can find with this player is that it might be subject to wreckage when throwing drunken parties at home due to the loading mechanism. This player is top loaded which in my opintion is cool but I figure it might be fragile. People, that want to change CD while being under the influence, tend to screw stuff up unless it looks like a standard tray player.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by ruhayatx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have the original Rega Planet CD player which I had swapped for with my Quad 77 CD. My first impression, compared to the 77CD, was that it sounded more like the Quad CD67, which has always been my favourite player.

I've tried this player in two systems, and in both cases it acquitted itself successfully:
1. Quad 34/306 amps with Harbeth P3 speakers
2. Densen DM10 amp with Dynaudio Audience 50 speakers

My goal has always been to achieve a relaxed sound that still packs a lot of detail. Like the CD67 the Planet is airy and laidback, yet quite dynamic. It's not hifi-ish in the sense that it adds something to the sound or brings attention to itself. It just sits in the system and is content to just play CDs.

Overall, I'm happier with the Planet than I was with the 77CD. It's fabulous for female vocals and you can hear metal strings on acoustic guitars. At the same time it fares pretty well with rock and dance tracks, too, so I'd say it just pips the Quad CD67 to the post sound-wise (the CD67 was a bit more selective of what it sounds good with).

I also like the idiosyncratic styling of the original Planet more than the revised ones, which I'd say is more conformist. God knows we need more individualism in today's MTV-fied world!

Purchased At:   Swap

Submitted by bkbonham a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
My Denon was near death and I needed a serious upgrade. The Denon had numerous problems from the start. While it sounded o.k., it just never worked well. After much research I came across a used Rega at my dealer. I when back several times to listen and really began to love the sound. Once home I was very much impressed by the overall improvement over the Denon. Not all digital sounds alike, that you can take to the bank. Highly recommened.

Purchased At:   moondance audio

Submitted by Matt vanderLugt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the Planet to match my newly purchased amp, a Marantz 6010OSE. My musical tastes are jazz/fusion/blues/acoustic and a spot of dance/classical/acoustic rock. I bought the amp because I had heard good things about it in that it was supposed to be a smooth operator, good with vocals. The Planet was supposed to be smooth as well so I thought they might be a good match although perhaps a little too smooth. Well, after a couple of days of burning in, I can say that the sound is indeed very smooth, but for my tastes not too smooth as it still digs out detail that I hadn't heard before. It can also rock (to an extent, forget about heavy stuff). This combination with my beloved ALR/Jordan Entry S speakers and Athena sub, is not high-end and the purist my laugh at it, but, glass of red in one hand, a block of cheese in the other, it makes music as enjoyable as I have ever heard it and that with a CD player that costs less than interconnects that I used to buy with my high-end system.

System:
Rega Planet CD
Marantz PM6010 OSE
ALR Jordan Entry S speakers
Athena sub
Ixos interconnects / spkr cables

Purchased At:   Sound & Vision Melbo

speaking of rehashing old ideas.... guess who's coming to the planet?

So... I've been catching up on the comic-con news and came across this lil "gem": Ya know, just doesn't have the impact for me without Marc Singer running around.Read More »

Jew like stuff like Planet X, Holdsworth, Tribal Tech?

[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61XQTwV%2Be9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg[/IMG] I saw this out of the corner of my eye at Rasputin's & picked it up, reading the blurb on the cover. Guy used to be in Megadeth (I'm not really a MD fan), but I think the word prog was on there. So I bought it, and I ... Read More »

I must be one of the luckiest guys on the planet.

While others have to deal with a WAF my wife is on a whole different level. First off, let me start with a short story about one of the owners of my company. This man could afford to put about any system he wants in his home. He asked me to put together a nice system for him. Time and time again ... Read More »

Wow, Fear of a Blank Planet shows up on metacritic!

Pretty high score too. Who said there's nothing new in indie-alt-whatever-rock anymore :shocked: [url]http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/porcupinetree/fearofablankplanet[/url] Josh Ritter just added too with one of the highest scores of the year right now (although it will surely go down o ... Read More »

Prince gives away 2.8 million copies of Planet Earth.

Looks like he just gave the finger to the execs. I think it's hilarious. [url]http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-princes-cd-giveaway-another-nail-in-the-albums-coffin.html[/url]Read More »

Atlantic Technology :