Rega Planet 2000 CD Players

4.71/5 (45 Reviews) MSRP : $950.00

The Planet 2000 is housed in the Rega custom built extruded aluminium case with the new top loading lid assembly. It uses the same circuit topology as the original Planet but with improvements in the Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC), power supply and coupling capacitors. The DAC is based around the custom built IC40 DAC chip. The Planet 2000 uses the same RADS conversion stage as the original Planet and has an extra power supply for the digital section of the DAC. The Planet 2000 has a toroidal transformer with separate windings for the display and audio stages. It uses a high performance CDM145BL-5BD25 kit with an improved display and a better level of user functionality.

Submitted by kenqc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Having owned nad, myryad and krell cd players, I had significant expectations when the rega planet 2000 arrived. I must say that I am pleased. The top loading mechanism, the front display and the decent remote have exceed my expectations.

As for the sound, I must say it is closer to analog than any of the previous cd players that I have owned. It is also a cd player that sounds great with good cds and bad with bad cds. Details are exposed.

My advice is that if you have newer better recrded cds, you will love this cd player. If you have older, less than stellar recorded cds, pass on this player as this will expose their every weakness.

I am very pleased and bought the cd player at a great price via ebay. I would recommend rega to anyone.

Submitted by Gino Lavoie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought my Rega Planet 2000 CD player in 2001. I paid it 1300,00$ CDN in Montreal. At the store, I compared and listened this CD player with some CD players in the same price range as Cambridge audio and Musical Fidelity. Also, I compared it with the first version of the Rega Planet (1997) which looks like a BBQ. The main difference between the Rega Planet 1997 and 2000 is a better resolution. It's easier to distinguish the musical instruments between them with the Planet 2000. For the rest, it's approximately the same level performance in my memory. When I compared the Planet 2000 with models from Cambridge and Musical Fidelity, It was not better or worst but only different. Finally, I chose the Rega Planet 2000 because It has the more realistic piano reproduction. The piano sonata "Invitation to the dance" by Weber (Naxos) was fantastic with the Planet 2000. Unfortunately, in my house with my Rega Mira amp and my Rega Alya loudspeaker, I was dissapointed about the musical performance. Even after a period of "breaking in", I was not satisfied. It sounded too bright and agressive to my ear. It lacks bass extension also. I was discouraged! What could I do to resolve this problem? I changed the audio interconnect and I obtained a real improvement in the musical performance. I bought a 200,00$ CDN Filtronique interconnect. Now, my Planet is softer than before. The bass extension is really better and it's warmer also. Now, I'm really satisfied of this CD player. After that, I decided to change my Rega Alya speakers for the JM Lab Chorus 715 speakers. With my new speakers, the Rega Planet 2000 is better again! In sum, if you buy the Rega Planet 2000 CD player, you should use a warm and dynamic amp with a warm and soft interconnect which has a good bass extension. Finally, a neutral speakers is a must.

Purchased At:   Audio d'occasion

Submitted by JCsix a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
well I am not sure how to rate this gear - depending on what you want it rated on.

In terms of performance, this is a beautiful sounding, warm CD player that is very revealing, somewhat vinyl sounding actually which is not suprising for one of the world`s top manufacturer`s of turntables.

to find something as good sound-wise you would probably pay a lot more and is why it is rated a sterophile B component, meaning it is incredible dollar value for sound.

where i have problems with it is in terms of reliability - I own a bryston 4b, a pair of acoustic energy AE speakers and the rega planet as well as a rega cursa pre amp.

the Acoustic Energy and Bryston not only sound amazing but have been incredibly reliable - I think you could drop the bryston off a 10 story building and it would run fine after :) however I have had problems with both Rega pieces of equipment - on the preamp, the ground for the turntable stopped working - giving me a nice buzz when I put a record on, the volume screetches when I turn the volume knob (and yes it is the preamp - I tried with other preamps that were fine) and the rega cd player after about 2 years started dying - power would go off and on without any explanation (and no it isn`t anyone sitting on the remote :) )

so this review is 3-part.

for sound quality the planet is pretty much unbeatable for the price. I highly recommend it if you are willing to perhaps have to send it in at some point for repair. but still worth it - it sounds amazing

in terms of overall build quality - I have my doubts about Rega at this point.

in terms of preamp - the cursa is good for the price (about 900 US) - but I tried a bryston bp25 which in all fairness is a few hundrer more but simply clobbered the rega in terms of performance. perhaps the combo with their amp is what made the difference but my experience has been that with people who own both these preamps the bryston is far superior no matter what surrounds it.

anyways I give it a 4 - made up of 5 for sound quality 3 for reliability

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by arc80 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Obviously you know that I love this player as the ratings to the left attest. The first thing I would like to say is that I have had absolutely no problems like the reviewer below me described. If anything, the Planet is a well engineered machine that is extremely reliable. Short of jumping up and down on the floor right next to the machine, I can't see how the transport would be prone to skipping. Then again it is possible he had a loose connection or something. In any event...

My system used for the Planet includes: Planet 2000 - Transparent MusicLink Plus Interconnect - Rega Brio Integrated - Rega Quattro Speaker Cable - Polk Audio LSi-15's.

In an earlier review of the Brio I noted how the bass was a tad sloppy and lacked low level slam. This is no longer the case, as I suspect my Nordost Solar Winds are a tad lean in the bass. The Rega Planet 2000 and the Transparent cable worked like magic. Low level detail increased, bass slam REALLY increased, and it all had Rega's trademark PRaT too.

In fact, this player compares VERY favorably to Naim's CD5i, lacking only a degree or two in an utterly black background. It's not quite as clean either, and the upper midrange (female vocals) isn't as focused and sweet.

But I will go to bat for the Rega's bass over the Naim. I absolutely love it! To be fair I've only listened to the Naim with the Nordost interconnect so before I reserve final judgement I should swap the two interconnects. However, the Rega/Transparent combo made such a stark contrast that I wondered whether the Polk's woofer baffles had instantaneously broken in 100%. Not likely. The Rega's bass is just that good. Specifically, Pink Floyd's "Hey You" hit me in the stomach like I've never been hit before. Incredible bass slam!

Dynamic swing, soundstaging, three dimensionality, and neutrality were all outstanding. And for the asking price it's a giant killer!

Purchased At:   local hifi ship

Submitted by sound67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
A no-nonsense performer with great neutrality, exact imaging of instruments. A bit on the cool side, and certainly not "vastly" different from other CD players. Analogue sound? What's that like. You won't find it here, as the Planet (2000) sounds like just another up-market CD player.

I auditioned this against other players in the US$600-1,500 range, against an Arcam CD 73T. Compared to the Arcam's full, warm sound the Rega came off as just a bit too cool and analytical. The 3D soundstage of the Arcam was noticeably bigger (and, PLEASE, we're talking minor, CD-player differences here!), the Rega seemed a bit more muted, while detail was a little more pronounced. In short: As a classical listener, I favored the Arcam, because of its well-rounded orchestral sound and the blooming voices. The Rega isn't bad though, sonics-wise.

However, if you don't find the sound REMARKABLY different from other players, give it a pass. It's not just the cheapo, Starship Enterprise like lid (it really looks like the NCC 1701, doesn't it?), but the unstable CD transport. If you just touch the player's faux alloy front near the drive, the laser jumps. If you touch another unit in your chain, standing next to the Rega, the Rega's laser jumps. This is not very trust-inspiring, I can tell ya. I returned the Rega, kept the Arcam (until further test results should indicate the is a truly BETTER performer).

Purchased At:   local dealer

Rega Planet 2000 - VERY NICE!

Bought a Planet 2000 off Agon about a month ago without doing a home demo first. The improvement in sound was dramatic! Very deep soundstage with great richness and detail. I posted several months back looking for CDP suggestions and Dusty Chalk called it - for the price the Rega is outstanding! ... Read More »

Rega Planet 2000 to Musical Fidelity a308?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Rega to a MuFi A308 CD player. Would it be worth the extra $2000? Does the A308 really sound like the NuVista it's based upon? I listen to Classical, mainly the Romantic and Contemporary periods and I'm looking for a little bit more transparency in complex passages. ... Read More »

MS 1400W: