Rega Apollo CD Players

• Class A audio output stage
  • Signal processing techniques

Submitted by Leon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
Best CD player for the money.
I let mine play for a week before I did any critical listening.
Great soundstage and separation of instruments.

Drums and bass sound authoritive and realistic. Complex bass lines and drum beats are easily reproduced without mudiness or boom. Overall character, tone and phase are very good.

Male and female voices appear natural without any signs of nasal honkiness or chestiness.

Very warm sounding and engaging. Some may say polite with quieter styles of music.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Nat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
This player came into my system to replace the very highly regarded Meridian 508.24. When I bought the Meridian, I marveled that it was the first cd player which did not fatigue me. My cd spinner priorvto the Meridian was no slouch, either, a CAL. But after many happy years I yearned for more. Specifically, I was critically aware that the Meridian lacked the drive, oomph or pace of my LP system. Pace? My thoughts turned to Naim, Linn and Rega. Having owned Rega gear in the past I wanted to try the Apollo. I enjoy this player more then I did the Meridian. It has the pace I wanted and is by no means harsh. It is a fine tonal match for my lp system (lp12/ekos/arkiv ii/lingo feeding a Pass phono stage) which is what I wanted. Do think my lp system has some superor qualities to the Rega, but I never consider my lp and cd system as out of sync with each other in terms of tonal quality. Both rock when needed, both can be very immediate, throw a convincing soundstage and grip the music. With the right tune, the right volume, I not only hear the music through the Rega, but I feel it as well. As a side note I use a homemade copy of the Rega Couple interconnect (Klotz cable and Neutrik Profi plugs) which is quite good and the parts cost about 1/4 of what a ready made set of Rega Couple retails for.

Submitted by landmissle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
Rock solid sound at a very affordable price! I'd say 95% there! High end is smooth and detailed without being rolled off. I have a slightly bright system and this player works very well together. I can listen for hours without getting fatigued. Mids are liquid smooth with realistic sonic weight. The pace of the player is correct. The more you listen the more you want to. Flushes out a good bit of detail without sounding analytical. The titanuim tweeters in the main speakers are pretty unforgiving. If this player had any top end harshness it would be revealed easily in this system. Bass is pretty good but that is why I said 95% there. The bass is a tad lighter than other players I have had in the system. If you have a subwoofer then you can adjust accordingly. The quality of the bass is great as far as being musical. It just the authority that could be a little better. Not a deal breaker by any means. After all we are talking about a player that retailed for 1K. Can't expect perfection at this price point!.

I love the reaction of people that see this player. Usually comments are...Wow that is a really cool looking cd player!

A great bargain on the used market. Highly recommended!

Submitted by Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had a few cd players thru my system and most in this price range are harsh! The rega gets 95% of it right. The mids and highs are very very sweet! I was hesitant to get this player as I have a system on the brighter side. Turns out this player is a good match for my system as the top end is smooth. Good detail without the associated rolled off top end! Also the signal to noise ratio of the player lends itself to the quiet around the music. Vocals are realistic with the right sonic weight. The bass is the only reason I said 95% there. It is just a tad light in this area. If you have a subwoofer then adjust accordingly. The quality of the bass is very good. Just not as authoritive as i've heard. I had a krell KAV 300 player that to this day had the best bass of any player to grace my system.

The transport is dead quiet. I can't stand hearing transport noise and have nix'd players right away for this. Overall a very nice player that will stay in my system for a while! I love people's comments when they see it. Like wow that is a really cool cd player! Sound and looks at a very reasonable price!!!

Submitted by Michael T a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
Generally solid. The waiting while it "INITIALISES" is very annoying. Very accurate. Would like some upsampling options.

Excellent remote.

Like the top loading. One less part to break.

Bottom line is it's one of the best sub $1000 CDPs out there although the new top of the line NAD is also quite good and is close.

Product model year:   2008

whats your opinion on Rega Apollo vs Jupiter?

I am trying to decide on whether to pay 850.00 for a used (very little hours) Jupiter or buy a new Apollo for 995.00 with warranty. Has anybody listened/compared the two? Thanks, ScottRead More »

Please add Silent Audio Apollo-A Interconnects

The company is: Silent Audio Category : Analog Interconnects website: silentaudio.com They retail for $150/m. Read More »

Atlantic Technology: