Proceed PDT3 CD Players

Digital transport

Submitted by John Kercheval a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've been using the PDT3 Transport coupled with the outboard PDP3 DAC.

Superior sonics an interesting design.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by John Doe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1999

Bottom Line:
Totally different perspective compared with the Meridian. Heard that PDT3 is an excellent drive. No doubt. The sound is very dynamic, wide and deep sound stage. Cannot believe transport can impose a big difference. Will push it further in the coming weeks by tweaking different cables.

Submitted by johnk a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
Proceed may be a division of Madrigal? I purchased this unit used, to pair with my Theta Basic II processor, and I've become convinced that this drive is central to the fantastic sound I'm now getting from my digital front end. This review is also a review of associated equipment:
Proceed PDT3
Mod Squad Passive Preamp
XLO Type 1 .5m
Bryston 3B Amp
Straight Wire Rhapsody Speak Cbl
Infinity Qe Speakers (??)

All the stuff following the PDT3 now sounds great, I would say equal to analog (gasp!). My two big breaks came in applying the knowledge that the transport is the most important part of the digital chain (thanks R. Harley, Stereophile); and that passive preamp is the way to go for greatest transparency. I was fortunate in stumbling on a pre-owned PDT3. Then I went through the usual cable confusion, finally settling on the Transp. Plus which seems to be making a good match with the high-output Theta. The correct order is to have the 1 m cables first. No need for any active preamplification, at least with half-way sensitive speakers.
This review is asserting that 4-5 year-old technology can sound absolutely great. I've seen a lot of Theta Basic II's being pawned off at pathetic prices.
Why? Maybe people just aren't driving them right. With a good transport it can sound wonderful. Just what could be substituted in my system now, or removed is not clear. Speaker upgrade? Perhaps the DTI Pro isn't essential? But I'm leaving it in. Why experiment with something that is more than satisfying? How much better can I get than "sounds like analog"? How much gain can I expect by spending an extra $500 on cables? I think not much. I'm happy, none of these components are for sale!

MS 1400W: