Philips CD721 CD Players

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by xpert a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
It is a very bad,bad idea.it sounds good,but the signal in the begining of the tracks is awful!!its functions are very bad.doesn't do even the basic things right.sorry-just a garbage

Submitted by Dairybeat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the Philips CD 723, with a remote control and a coax. digi. out. It has a very handy fade out, on both digi. and analogue signals, and a volume control on headphone AND signal output!
With a discount card I only paid 94.00 for it and for the price the quality is brilliant, for sound and built.
With good quality cable, both digi. and analogue, through my Yamaha DSPA1 amp., the analogue connection won by far. This will tell you something about the very good built in DAC in this player compared to the Yamaha's.
Very recommended.

Purchased At:   IT's Purmerend

Submitted by Chris Ringwood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
Before I rigged my Systemdek up on my Boat, this was my main source of Music. MUCH better than the Rotel - which was Rotels' 1st attempt - and I tracked it down on the basis of it being a What HiFi mag. "Best Buy". I concur with their findings. I find it very dependent on the CD playing as to how it sounds. Get a well-produced CD, and it's good listening indeed (for CD that is!) and I can spend longer than an hour in listening to music I don't have on LP. Nevertheless, decidedly inferior to my Vinyl set up from every criteria. But at the price I got it at a pedal-to-the-metal bargain indeed. I think if CD was the single source I would be ticked at the lack of upgradeability. But it's a great piece of kit nonetheless and so far, has proven reliable with no problems (fingers X'd!).

Purchased At:   The Good Guys

Submitted by Axels a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Marantz sound - quite warm and open. Good soundstage , detail and rhytmical capabilities. Initialy it was a bit harsh with revealing HK 620 amp. Get rid of captive signal lead, cut in phono sockets, exchange output
opamp ( there is only one on circuit board, if remember correctly, JRC 4560 ) to higher quality Burr-Brown OPA 2604,
and you have unmissable product for it's price.

Submitted by Jon Bond a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got this player from my brother who bought it at just SDG$180. CD721 sounded musically gd with gd clarity, fair amount of bass and the treble was crisped. It sound much better compared to my Marantz cd63se which had a better soundstage. The downside of this player was the lack of digital or coaxial output. For budget wise, Cd721 is a gd buy.

My system consists of: