Parasound CDP-1000 CD Players

3.96/5 (51 Reviews) MSRP : $495.00

Hybrid 1-bit, 18bit converter

Submitted by sasha jovavnovic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought mine used a year ago.Excellent transport for that money.Doesn't read dasty and scratched cd. I don't have anything against remote, display. I use mine for listening, everything else is secondary. Who cares about remote?!
I have digital cable kimber d60 and aragon dac d2a2. This combination delivers good controled bass, excellent soundstage, with open midranges and good trebbles.

Submitted by edpadden a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I think that this player is wonderful for the price. Stock this player can compete with players much higher priced. I upgraded the op-amps ,installed some high speed - soft recovery dioeds, removed the muting transistors and added some black gate caps in the power supply. This woke the player up! It uses good parts already but these upgraded took the player to another level. Please contact me if you are interested in any of these mods. Wonerful results! edpadden@yahoo.com

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by homehifi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the C/DX-88 but I can relate to the tracking problems of the CDP/1000 owners! I have several discs that I admit aren't pristine (I bought them used)
but the Parasound won't even play them. My $75.00 pawn shop Sony 50/disc will though! The Parasound does have decent sound quality. (When you insert a freshly opened disc). Due to the age of the unit, the fluid suspension system has sagged, and I must lift up on the tray to open and close it. Plus the LCD looks like it was made by Fischer Price.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by pbubny a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I originally owned a CDP/1000 about seven years ago, and thought it was the best-sounding player I'd owned. Now on my second go-round with this model, I've come back to the same conclusion. When I saw one listed in the audio classifieds a few months ago, I sold my existing NAD and bought this. Despite its having ostensibly lower resolution than the 24/96 capabilities of the NAD, the Parasound just gets deeper into the recording--and the music, too. Gives a much more cohesive "picture" than the NAD.(Besides, should I want to upgrade at some point to 24/96 or 24/192 or whatever, I'll just add on an outboard DAC.)

There are a few shortcomings. As I said in the "weaknesses" section, track access is slow--and it sometimes skips ahead a couple of seconds from the start of the track. If I try to program a longer piece that is divided into several continuous tracks, the player will read each track as separate, so you get a pause between tracks which isn't supposed to be there. (This is an annoyance, but in practice it only crops up with a very few CDs.)

This player, assuming that it holds up (and the previous owner took very good care of it), will more than satisfy my champagne-tastes-beer-budget status until the current format wars (SACD vs. DVD-A vs. Godzilla) sort themselves out.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Chocolate Elvis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had to write this one, after reading the below listed negative review. I cannot understand someone, who clearly bought a faulty unit to actually write such immature review in a fit of blind rage. Hello, not 100% of all the equipment leaves the factories fault free - that applies to hi-fi or vacuum cleaners. Why didn't he try another unit before venting his frustration here?

Anyhow, I have had this unit since 1997 - and I swear to speak truth and nothing but the truth - it is used almost every day (and that includes dinner parties). The only thing that I had replaced (last year) was the tray mechanism due to excessive wear. I admit that my CD collection is kept in a very good condition, therefore I cannot remember the last time it skipped a track. It seems to ignore people dancing around it as well.

I have used it for about a year as a CD player before I got the ADAM AES/EBU optical link module and a Parasound 2000 D/AC converter. On its own, the CDP 1000 is an unbeatable unit in it's price range when it comes to clarity and definition. There is none of the digital "serrated edge", it has a warm, clean, strong sound. I mainly listen to more experimental music and even the most demanding electronic-noise recordings are executed with great accuracy.

The unit however comes to it's own when used as a transport - the level of improvement is simply huge. The ADAM unit basically electrically isolates the transport, resulting in a fantastic definition and absolute zero noise. After all these years I haven't been able to part with this guy, it simply astounds me everytime I buy a new piece of music. I dread the day, when it just dies on me and I wil have to find a replacement.

TARA LABS: