Onkyo DX-C730 CD Players

3.42/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Submitted by mikeb18c a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased this CD player used for $70 at a local swap meet.

I know Onkyo too well, and this CD player was Onkyo INTEGRA (best of what they have to offer). The dude didn't know what he was selling, so I checked all functions to make sure it WORKED properly -and they all did to my amazement!

Got it home. Plugged it into my Sony ES receiver and boy, the sound just blew me away! (honestly).

The Guitars- you could here very well seperated.

Vocals- life-like and vivid versus the Sony.

Instruments come alive and BACKGROUND detail sound you finally here.

Submitted by rich dial a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
so far i haven't had any problems with mine at all. it works flawlessly. this cd player sounds excellent period. the drawer mechanism is as smooth as glass and the player is super quiet. my only complaints are that not all functions are shared between the front panel and remote and there is no headphone jack.

Purchased At:   local stereo shop

Submitted by Brian a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
My overall experience with this player, unlike many others who have posted here, has been positive. The sound quality that this player produces is somewhere between equivalent and substantially better than the sound generated by most of the three or so other players that I auditioned in the $300 to $600 range (I can't recall specific models. Sorry folks!). Right out of the box, the player did sound a little flat to me. Over about a month or so of use, the music generated by the player gradually became more dynamic and vivid. I can't tell if it was a burn in period for the player or a break in period for my speakers or a combination of both 'cuz I picked up new speakers with the new player.

Sounds like there are some real quality control problems with the production of this unit, but luckily I haven't come accross any yet.

If you get lucky and can get a properly assembled unit for less than $350, it is certainly a purchase you should consider. If you are considering paying full retail of $550.... Maybe not.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Churchy Park a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
Hello. I been using this CD player for a months now. I got this CD player at circuitcity for 200 dollars. It was display model that is how i got it cheap. Well my old sony CD player was kept skipping, so I was looking for a new CD player. Two months ago, I went to Circuitcity to check out some CD players and I found this CD player but it was display model. I listened to some of the music that I own through different speaker. The sound was really nice. Very detailed and clear! I got the CD player and removed my old CD player and hook up the Onkyo DX-C730 CD player! I really was very superised because of the sound difference! I played Creed, and Starwars soundtrack. Heck i even tried my Back To The Future soundtrack. It was clear and detailed and mostly it produced more bass than the old sony player i have! Well I own a YAMAHA HTR-5150 a/v receiver and I got a pair of Sony MF ss-515 and a pair of Acoustic research PS-318 and a Acoustic research 225ps center.(please check all this equipment review at this site) I get more than enough bass on Creed and clarity of the Sarwars soundtrack is not even funny! It's awesome! Well I really do not know why people reviewed this CD player so poorly. I guess the price people paid for! I cannot complain anything since i got this unit for 200 dollars! Well it is well made CD player. Get this CD player if it around 150 to 200 dollars! Thanks!

Purchased At:   Circuitcity

Submitted by Sheila a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
After over a year of use, I am generally happy with this top of the line CD changer.

The sound seems to be better after it has been on a while so I make it a point to keep the power on whenever I am home and there is no lightning storm which could cause a power surge.

Besides the fact that there is no power button on the remote, my only other complaint is that once in a while the drawer will not stay open when I press the open/close button. This is an intermittent quirk so far, but I hope it does not develop into a real problem like one of the previous reviewers experienced.

Also I cannot understand why ONKYO designed the unit to rotate completely every time I close the drawer. This would make sense if the PLAY button is pressed but why if open/close is pressed?

High End: