Numark AXIS8 CD Players

3.73/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $439.99

Numark AXIS8 Premium Table Top CD Player

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I did not post that twice.

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
Oh I forgot to mention, I eventually did get into vinyl and am actually quite happy that my Axis 8 problems led me to eventually use both mediums. If you read the first review, I was incredibly resistant to buying records. Now I love it. Also, when Numark analog crossfaders begin to bleed, just use some Conair hairclipper oil on the contact strip deep inside. That seems to fix the problem. I should finally mention that the Matrix 2's phono inputs have a noise problem when you hook up the BNC lights. But Numark says they can fix it and considering it's one of their cheaper mixers and from before the recent boost in quality control, I suppose I can forgive it. That will have to be sent in soon before its warranty expires...at my expense. At least those con artists Mail Boxes Etc are now the UPS store with cheap prices. This whole time I shouldn’t have been paying more than $10 per unit for shipping. They told me double that was their cheapest ground price! Live and learn, I guess. The CD player can also be modded with a piece of thread to give it a slight torque to the scratch wheel. Yes I'm the guy that came up with this, and yes it makes a big difference. I also came up with the mouse pad doorstop everyone uses at my work, now. I'm reminded of Rodney Dangerfield "I get no respect!" Or credit, it seems. My MIDI capable Axis 8's, TT-200's, and Matrix 2 mixer work extremely well otherwise, and look incredibly sexy and are ergonomic as hell...if hell were full of design engineers obsessed with aesthetics, that is. I get nothing but compliments on them. All my friends are trying to get me to hit the clubs now and play at their parties. Personally, I still feel like I've only been doing this for 6 months, which is probably the combined length of time I've had everything working at once.

I have been through the crucible and am now fired into stone.

Benjamin G., a.k.a. DJ Reticuli

Bottom Line:

I have been through the crucible and am now fired into stone.

Benjamin G., a.k.a. DJ Reticuli

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
O.k. Nine and one half units and over a $150 in shipping costs later, and I can finally say that I've gone over two months without a single problem. They are working flawlessly now. The MIDI problem is fixed. The wow and flutter problem seems to be fixable under recalibration. And the CD read problem has been gone since the last older unit's drive mechanism was replaced. Unfortunately, all new Axis 8 and 9's no longer have MIDI or the lovely blue displays. Oh well. Version 35 of the the software also seems to be dumber than v.34 r7 was with MIDI and interlock, but I rarely use it anymore except for remixing with fixed loops or linking to a sequencer. For those of you who are interested, these are finally truly capable units with great features for an excellent price. And those of us who suffered through massive problems have paved the way for you to enjoy them without the same headaches. It looks like Numark's merging with Alesis has ramped its quality control up a few notches. They really need to quit with the fixation on price brackets and budget brandings (e.g. ION, etc) and concentrate on creating solid professional gear, though.

Submitted by Reticuli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well, I finally got the Axis 8 back and it's been working fine. A very crisp unit, if I may say so. The sound almost seems better and more responsive, but that might be my imagination. There is a power supply hum that the other unit lacks, but it is extremely low in the noise floor. It should still conform to the rated S/N specs even with it. The BPM button has a completely different feel than the other unit I just sent in and is light and crisp, though I must say I prefer the stiff but still responsive clickable feel of my other current unit's button. That's nitpicking, though. Numark may have simply switched to a new button contact and new power supply design. Assuming everything continues to work, my only complaint left on these units is the previously mentioned sub par Wow and Flutter, or as they call it in the CD world, Jitter. Even if you get two identical tracks exactly in phase down to the beats sucking themselves out slightly, and with pitch slider off, the two tracks will suddenly jump out of alignment very slightly. The longer the two tracks go, the more of these random temporal quirks occur and the worse it gets. These units cannot go an entire track without the beats eventually becoming noticeably out of alignment. I don't know if it's a slight software bug, a problem with physical skipping, or just poor internal clock jitter. You don't really notice that anything happened unless you're actually mixing...well, I think I did notice it once in a single track where it seemed to jump forward a fraction of a second during an electronic sample. I knew the already brief sample sounded unusually truncated. Not sure what to make of this phenomenon. Perhaps it’s a slight problem of all complex CD DJ units. It's easy to correct with a little pitch bend, but is annoying and could make mixing randomly problematic.

Atlantic Technology :