Nakamichi MB-3s CD Players

2.87/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Dual 18 bit D/A converter

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a great sounding CD player; great audio quality. Unfortunately, the loading tray on these things jammed - you'd hear a 'clunk' and get an error message. It was a design flaw. Changing between discs in the 'elevator' system was also noisy and took a long time. I devised a fix to prevent the door from jamming on mine, but later I sold it. I wish I didn't sell - my repair worked very good, and the Nak is a great sounding CD player.

Purchased At:   Rand's Hi-Fi

Submitted by Greg Olsen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Typically unreliable Nak stuff. I have had their wonderful sounding tape decks let me down too. Howeever I still want one of each (tape and CD)in my collection.

Purchased At:   E-bay

Submitted by dgordon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I compared this unit with a Denon single player, and the sound of the Nak just blew it away! Purchased in Dec '95, I found that the unit worked reliably for about 3 years. I had a problem with it automatically closing when I was putting or taking off a CD in '98. It was fixed and worked until 2002, when the CD tray jammed up on me. I heard from the service centre that this was a big problem with these units well after I purchased this player. Even though I have had it 7 years, I don't feel it was worth the money, considering the $200 Technics that I have from 1990 is still working. This is Nak's main downfall, excellent parts & sound but shoddy assembly & quality control on their CD players & receivers. They have lost me as a consumer.

Purchased At:   Bay/Bloor Radio

Submitted by Ian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
MB-3 (not the 's') worked great and sounded wonderful until MusicBank quit just before warranty ran out. Nak fixed the unit under warranty and I got 2 more years of fun until the drive quit again. No changing discs, and almost impossible to insert/remove discs. At this point, Nak refused to help me out in any way (except to give free parts, but the price of shipping/labor was more than a cheap, reliable single-disc player would cost) even though their disc changing mechanism is clearly flawed.

Last time I bought Nak.

Purchased At:   Sounds Incredible

Submitted by Tony Charsley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
The MB3S has been on the rack for almost 8 yrs now and has been a great reliable machine. It sounds good even today when compared to some of the new models. It recently jammed a CD in the music bank which required a replacement stacker unit with laser etc. 8 yrs after manufacture you can still get parts and service was within great.

Purchased At:   HIFI