Nakamichi MB-10s CD Players

4.2/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

cd changer

Submitted by c_j_m a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought the MB10 second hand on ebay paying £200 pounds, for a pristine sample. After run in, the sound was very good. Refined, quite detailed, rich midrange. I found the top end a little sharp and edgy at times, though. The player promised, but didn't quite deliver on that promise.

The cd change mechanism is wonderful. It copes with most CDs I've thrown at it, even home written ones, and flawlessly (though a little noisily) jumps between loaded CDs and their tracks. This made me wonder about its use as a transport. So, I added a DAC (tried various ones) and this CD player performed brilliantly. I strongly recommend it as a CD transport. As a transport it would get 5* (it is as good as my Roksan Kandy MkIII in this respect) and betters other transports I've tried IMO.

It does run hot, since it uses the bottom panel as a heatsink, so I'm careful not to leave it on all the time

Purchased At:   Lintone Audio

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
A salesman at a local high-end place said this was one of only two changers he'd countenance selling to anyone (the other being an Arcam, for a few hundred dollars more), as it's one of the only changers they carry that hasn't compromised sound in order to make possible the playing of multiple discs. And he's right; it sounds great -- not a bit of the harsh high end that's typical of, well, a great many CD players. And the stacking mechanism's brilliant, making possible a really elegant little machine. (Connected to Marantz PM-57 amp with Audioquest Copperhead interconnects; amp to B&W DM601's with Audioquest F-14 wire.)

Purchased At:   happymedium.com

Submitted by Jeffrey Chin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
an excellent buy..forces you to relisten to all your CDs
using Monster optical toslink cable
check my setup

Mains: Mag 2.5r
Rears: Mag 1.4
Center: Mag MGCC1
Receiver: Nakamichi AV-10 (100w/ch)
DVD: Nakamichi DVD-10
Sub: HSU Research VTF-2

Purchased At:   person to person

Submitted by S a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an absolutely wonderful CD player. The soundstage is wide and in 3D. There is NO grain to the sound. Bass is deep and the highs have a very natural and not edgy sound.

I am running B&W 602 Series 2 speakers and the Titanium tweeters are very detailed, but sensitive to harsh components upstream. The Nak sounds very good through them.

My Denon reciever has built in decoders, so I hooked up the digital Coax to it to do A/B comparisons of the sound of the Nak's chips vs. the Burr-Brown chips in the reciever. At first there was little difference, but after leaving the Nak on repeat for about two days, there was a difference in the highs. The Denon was now noticeably more edgy and the soundstage shrank. This conitnued for about two weeks and the Nak's sound in comparison became more and more refined, very tube-like, very vinyl like. To some this would be called laid back, but the details are still there in the highs, just not fatigueing.

For the best sound, leave the MB-10 on all of the time, I know that some people may not believe that it changes the sound, but after it is warmed up, there is a difference.

The choice of audio cables also changes the sound of the Nak. I have used Audioquest Jade and Quartz with the unit as well as the supplied RCA's. The supplied cables lack deep bass, and the Jade sounds quite nice, but not as much detail. I settled on the Quartz for the neutral tone and wonderful soundstage. I will soon try some kimber cable to see if it makes any difference. If you don't believe that cable makes a difference, try it, you will be suprised.

I had auditioned an NAD 540, but it did not like some of my CDR's. The Nak has been very good about playing everything I present to it. Even my old scratchy copy of Magical Mystery Tour. I also listened to a Rega Planet and just didn't "get it". I know that every audio magaizine raves about it, but in the end the sound was not worth the money. To be honest, the sound of the Nak is very close to the Rega for 300+ less. The Nak is a little less laid back.

I recommend a listen if you are in the market for a 400+ CD player. Just make sure that the store sample is broken in and that you give yours about a week of use to break in.

Submitted by keith Walshe a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Nakamichi was choosen on the basis of extended listening tests using a range of clasical CDs from my own collection - I knew what they could sound like. After a while I noted that one CD repeatedly played on my prior unit without error would jump backwards and forwards at repeatable locations on the CD. After careful listening tests I fond several more CDs that gave the same effect. The subject disks were tested at my dealers - only Nakamichi performed this way all other CD players were fine. Nakamichi had no answer other than that the CDs were faulty. In the end the dealer refunded the price of the player & I took a lower cost Onkyo. The sound is possibly not as clear but I can now at least here the music as written.
The musik bank changer worked fine but I do wonder what happens if there is an electronic glitch.

Purchased At:   syndey