Naim CDX CD Players

4.69/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $4250.00

Submitted by Robert a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
This player is so wonderful that it easily lives up to all the praise by the previous posts. It is so musical from top to bottom that it just sucks you into the music. I'm having a hard time pulling myself away from it to get to bed at night. That's when you know something is just 'right'.

I'm not going to go into all the adjectives but I will comment that this player will greatly benefit from proper setup. The whole player was designed for absolute top performance from the chasis to the feet and power cord. DO NOT change either or it will screw up the famous Naim PRaT (pace, rhythm and timing)that their CDP's are known. The shelf will also benefit the perfomance a great deal since maximizing the reduction of vibration can be heard. There are some out there that say that this is a sign that it isn't designed well. Wrong, it clearly shows that this player is so musical, so detailed, so analog sounding, just so 'right' that not the best setup or care can be heard. Anything at the highest levels of audio is this way. I even unplugged my DVD player from the Theta Casablanca I'm using and I heard even a greater level of clarity appear from top to bottom. I heard that preamps can do this as well and not just AV preamps. The Casablanca is a top notch preamp and will embarass a lot out there. Definitely looking into having a dedicated AC line added as well.

The CDX will allow you to just enjoy the music. Inexperienced listeners may overlook this CDP since it isn't the typical hyped CD digital sound out there. It is just so smooth, detailed, musical and balanced that you just get into the music and stop analyzing your system.

Wow, I guess I did use a lot of adjectives even after I said that I wouldn't. I'm not even using the XPS or the XPS2 power supplies that takes the player to an even much greater level of performance. I've heard that you shouldn't listen to the optional power supply unless your ready to buy it on the spot because its that good. Naim doesn't make changes that often but when they do it's worth it. Not like some manufacturers that change some tiny thing in their line every 6 months so they can keep having their products hyped in Stereophile and other audio mags out there.

Good Listening!

Submitted by matt a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
i went through a hefty number of 2-2.5k, and above cdp's before deciding the cd5 was the closest to the price/sound ratio i was looking for. then listened to a cdx. and got one second hand, for the same price as the new lower-end model.
this is not whiz-bang in your face kit. it looks pretty understated, it doesn't blink in your face, and it does just one thing : play circular, silvery (or golden), red-book compliant digital media, even if there are a few scratches on it (the error-correction is more than acceptable, as long as you aren't playing frisbee with your cd's.).
and that, it does great. there's no feel of added gimmickry to the path, and, to cut it short, it gives you the feeling of being in the venue whatever you're playing was recorded in, not in some overblown and artificial soundscape.
this is a highly-focused, and highly involving, piece of kit, and may not be as laid-back as some of the alternatives...

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by jim022 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I listened to this and the Linn Ikemi as I am looking to upgrade my Cyrus Dad3Q. The system was all Naim. My overall impressions were of a very detailed player with excellent dynamics and channel seperation, however the sound was slightly harsh, which must be attributed to the higher than average rated THD. The Linn was altogether smoother. My main concern was that the CDX skipped repeatedly on a particular CD that the Linn had no problems with. At this price point I find this unacceptable hence my rating. For sound it gets a 4/5. Overall, very good but over priced and under-engineered.

Submitted by rocketeer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am listening to music through a naim 72+hc/140 amp compo over dynaudio contour loudspeakers and have upgraded from a cd3.5 to a cdx one week ago. My first impression in brief: compared to the cd3.5, the cdx is a quantum leap in all aspects. The degree of authenticity of the music played with the cdx simply will leave you breathless. For me, it is the best cd-player i ever heard. Of course, i did not listen to all players on this planet, but since the cdx is "far better than i imagined" my overall rating is 5 stars. I have no doubt that nowhere and never one could get a better player at this price tag. i'd love to give dozens of stars for value rating, instead of only 5!

Submitted by mikesae a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
In addition to the other reviews-
A league above the similarly priced CD5/Hicap. If you run an all-Naim system, a CDX upgrade is a no-brainer and will embarass other, more expensive makes.
If you have another make of hi-fi, the CDX may semm like worst thing CDP ever created. Synergy is the key here.

See CDX gubbins @ http://members.shaw.ca/mikesae/

Yamaha CDX-397 vs NAD C515BEE

hi, what would be better to get? thanks in advanceRead More »

Atlantic Technology: