Naim CD5 CD Players

4.77/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $2250.00

Submitted by Naim14082 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
For over 20years I have been using Naim amps and have found them to offer a very balanced and neutral sound.At the moment I am using an Nac 82 preampwith a hicap power supply and a 140 power amp.To complete the chain I have recently acquired a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors. When I first set up the Cd5 in my system it sounded like the 82 was eating it for breakfast.The sound was clear and had good bass but after an hour or so gave me a headache. I read previous reviews of the player and I thought all these people can't be wrong. So I persevered and after a few weeks the player did improve slightly but I still found it fatigueing to listen too.In the interim I slotted my old Meridian 506.24 back into my system and it sounded a lot smoother but lacked the Naims tight bass, rhythmn and detail. After a couple of days I returned to the Naim Cd5 but soon lost interest.I don't care if its Naim ,Mark Levinson,Krell,Sony etc,etc,if it doesn't sound right its not staying in my system.
I was in a quandry and couldn't understand why it was sounding mediocre at best in my system. I was ready to return it to my dealer but I thought I would give it one last go.I swapped the Hicap power supply from the preamp and attached it to the cd player,then left the system in situ and didn't listen to it for a few days.Finally I put a cd into the drawer and pressed play and set the volume quite low just to play a few tracks to let the player warm up.I was expecting a slight improvement at best so my expectations weren't very high. If this didn't work then the Cd5 was on its way back to the shop.
Well ,what can I say ! The power supply transformed the cd player.It sounded very natural, smooth and the music just gelled together. It just sounded so right. There was plenty of detail and the bass was tight and strong. I was listening to a completely different player.I have owned various players in the past but the cd5 and hicap over the last few weeks have given me greater listening pleasure than any other.Needless to say the power supply has stayed on the cd player and I now need to find one for the preamp .Combined with Naims excellent customer service I aim to have this cd player for quite a few years to come.
If you can pick up a cd5 second hand try and buy a power supply as well. I haven't tried a Flatcap power supply but can imagine it offers similiar benefit to the hicap. The cd5 has transformed my system ,its that good.

Strengths.... Excellent build quality and Customer Service.Very natural smooth sound with pace and rhythmn.
Just plays the music providing plenty of emotion. Great buy second hand.

Weaknesses...To glean the most benefit from the player you will need a power supply.Do not underestimate
the improvement provided by a hicap.

Similiar products used; Meridian506.24,Sony 502Es,Technics,Teac VRDS10,Naim Cdx.......

Submitted by magisterludi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
This short review is for the CD5X. It is fantastic that CDP design has advanced to the point that now in 2007 it is possible to get a refined, natural, analogue type sound from a mid priced player. The CD5X is one of the best if not the best example of this. Naim's strong suite of PRAT is very much a part of this player, but it really excels in accurate and natural tone, timbre, transperancy and detail.. Some complain that it is too lively or "in the face", but I've paired it with a passive pre amp from Placette for a wonderful sound that provides a deep soundstage. My only small complaint is that although the sounstage is transparent, it is a little congested (individual players a little bit too close together)
I added a Naim Flatcap2 to the system and it resolved this small issue completely.
Listening to a variety of music, Rock, Classical, Jazz, New Age & Folk it performs
equally well. I give it my highest recommendation at the under $3500 price point

Purchased At:   Retail

Submitted by Marcel Niquet a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
Talking about the CD5x. A good but over-rated product by the best audio marketing company of the world. I've tested the Naim in four different contexts: three different dealers (3 systems), with and without Flatcap, and at home to finish. On one system where Magnepan (very open) speakers were used, the Naim was at its best (the amp. was a Musical Fidelity). On the others, It sounded more or less compact and its definition level did not impress me. The worst performance was when I heard it with Naim electronics!
For the Sugden SDT1 owner that I am, the CD5x is proposed (and widely seen) as an upgrade. Well, I must say that the reality is not as simple as that. The Naim sounds fine but compact, while the Sugden sounds not less fine but liquid and much more open and airy. For all types of music, the Sugden is more relax and pleasing. I use a Classé CA2100 amplifier/Sugden AU-51 preamp. Needless to say that I will not «upgrade» to a CD5x which is nevertheless a fine player. The only problem here is that it's not better than the one I already have. At the end I realise that If I want to go up to an upper level, I will have to pay over 5000$.

Submitted by deadsexy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've had this player for 6 months now and it just keeps sounding better....amazing. Let me get right to the point this cdp is damn good ,damnit!.
I'm using it with the humble and matching Naim series 5 goodies and who! talk about your synergy: this kit paces like a ba*tard! Don't get me wrong, we're not talking a bull in the china shop here, just the usual Naim boogie facter coupled with a slightly laid back, and seductive sound.....very very musical. Thing about Naim is that it serves the music first, not the audiophile that listens for minute soundstage details. I've heard big ticket cd based systems costing mega$ and they're all boom & sizzle but could'nt time a Yack's fart, nevermind play a tune.
At it's used price the Naim CD5 is a freaking bargain or my name isn't DeadSexy!

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by RoopertX a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
This review is for the CD5x,I paid £1250. I've had this player for 3 weeks now and have wanted to and almost returned it several times. I tried it in the demo room against the meridian g07 and the roksan caspian. In the store it sounded stunning, great pace and very revealing, I was sold. Got it home and it sounded worse than my arcam cd73t good pace but no soundstage, a very 2 dimensional sound. Sevenoaks were great, they gave me a chord cobra 3 interconnect(I was using a standard QED silver spiral) and isolation tables to try. Thought the problem was solved but after another week of listening I found that the sound was all drum and low end but no midrange.
In a last ditch attempt I changed the speakers, a set of quad 11 L's to my linn kans from the bedroom. Problem completely solved. I purchased the chord cobra 3 and a 'base' isolaion table. Clarity and soundstage are amazing. Vocals shine through on James Blunt's 'back to bedlam' and I love the way accoustic guitars sound on the Foo Fighters 'in your honor' cd2 and KT Tunstall 'Eye to the Telescope'. The cd5x has become transparent now, I can hear the music and not the player. From this experience careful matching and thought are required, I'm using an arcam fmj a32 amp which is not the ideal partner but I need the processor mode on the amp for my cinema set-up so it's a compromise I'm willing to make.

Price Paid:    $2000.00