NAD S500 CD Players

4.57/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $1499.00

Silver Series Single CD player. 24 bit DAC. Balance and Single ended outputs.

Submitted by Reeburr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
The best CDP that NAD has ever produced, way way better than C565 or such. In fact they are totally different class. It's a pity that NAD has dropped the Sliver series, the new M series never had a true CDP.

It has an very obvious "vinyl warmth", but not the veiled "Marantz warmth", I'm comparing with the CD playback of SA17S1, partly because S500i has the comparable micro dynamic and speed of NAIM CD5 I also have. All in all, this player is clean, dynamic and also warm like real instruments.

For the price that could be easily found in the 2nd hand market, one can never go wrong with it. I had my one for less than USD 500, a much easier price than a used Naim CD5.

Submitted by bart a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
i have the nad s500i and its the best cd player i have ever had it is by far better than the musical fidelity nu vista 3d and better than the rega jupiter and better than marantz cd94 and madrigal cd players
meridian 508/24

sound is litening fast very very fast an very very musical
pin point instrument location !!
very musical !!
it has the talent to give you te feeling thats vaya con dios is on your lap you hear her breathe !!
alrounde but at his best with focal female music and drum music

yes this is value for the money !!

only thing what is importend is get a good match with your amp

un modified its very good modified its better than wadia audio research better than the whole sony es series swoboda included

when you see this cd player for sale just buy it !!! you cant get wrong but buy the s500 i the i from improvement!!

Submitted by Juan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
I once went to a shop to compare this cd player with an opera consonance 2.2 cd player. The shop provided a NAD s300 integrated amp and dynaudio audience monitors (of course cables were absolutely mean). I felt Consonance was way better: more musical, detailed and realistic. But I didn't buy. This silver Nad remained unsold in the shop for more than 4 years. And one day I realized that this player has RCA and XLR outputs as well as a pretty AES/EBU digital output, fitting with my Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC. Then It was an outlet. I paid 550 euros (more or less, half the original price). At home I discoveerd that its transport is awful and erratic. it refuses to read some cd's from time to time. The handset is painful too. However the sound is faboulous via good siltech cables , gryphon callisto 2200 amp and dynaudio confidence 5 or proac response 1sc loudspeakers. So I got good sound at a not-so-cheap but still reasonable price. Build is impressive. View gorgeous. There is no SP/DIF digital output

Submitted by Bill Monaco a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is actually an S500i which had limited distribution in the USA. It has a different transport than the S500. You can see my review of my modified S500. This unit has also been modified by Reference Audio Mods East. The total modification is around $2000. This brings the total cost to a liitle less than $3000. What did I get for this money?
Well this is probably the best $3000 player in the world. The modification is too extensive to list but includes buffer silver wire transformers on the output. Listened to this unit last night with Triangle Celius and Musical Fidelity 308 integrated. This is not my system but it's a quality set-up. It competition was a MF308CR with their X10-V3 buffer stage.
Not even close to the NAD S500i. We discovered details on CD's that we not there on the MF308CR.
It's a 5 of 5 even though it's not even broken in yet. Jaw-dropping good.
Don't sell your S500 units, modifiy them.

This a reference quailty unit at a bargain price.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Laurier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I can only agree with most of the reviewers here. The sound this machine makes is really enjoyable. This CD Player replaced a NAD 512. I couldn't say I heard a BIG improvement though...Of course, the S500 is a lot more pretty! The only thing I wanted to add that I don't seem to have found in previous reviews is this: this CD is kinda picky. I mean it won't play some Copy Controled CDs (some remastered Brian Eno's for instance). It won't play double-sided CDs like the latest Franz Ferdinand CD (CD on one side, DVD on the other). But I do have to mention this CD player CAN play scratched CDs without any difficulty. Something all NAD CD Players can NOT be proud of! (BTW, I did pay this S500 $135 CDN! That made my day!)

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Batman Begins Crashing Sony BDP-S500

The new Batman Begins BluRay disc keeps crashing my player (SONY BDP-S500) at the exact same spot every time I attempt to watch it. It gets to a certain point, right when the black and white wavy warner screen comes up and then the player just shuts itself off and reboots. The performance of this pl ... Read More »

60.0 WA BLACK: