NAD C542 CD Players

4.22/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

CD/CD-R/CD-RW compatible, HDCD decoder with automatic detection, Burr-Brown Sigma-Delta 24-bit digital to analogue converter, Nichicon “Muse” capacitors, coaxial and optical digital outputs, low output impedance, separate power regulators for analog and digital sections, VFL display with selectable track, time and repeat, repeat mode for single track or entire CD, program play up to 20 tracks, random play, external IR input, 12V trigger input, NAD CD-6 full function remote control.

Submitted by Allan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2011

Bottom Line:
Summary:
I went to different Hi-Fi stores searching for the right Amplifier and CD player for me. One of these store salesman introduce me the integrated amplifier NAD 356BEE and the CD player C542. It was amazing experience. I told to myself these two pair made my search over for my kind of music. The sound stage is airy and relaxing to hear irregardless of whatever sounds you play on the C542. It is a laid back musical experience close to vinyl pure analog listening. The DAC on the CD Player plays an important part in reproducing the details of sound as intended for the listener to hear right from the recording companies. An outstanding CD Player at it’s price range paired with NAD amplifier- this time NAD356BEE.

Strengths:
Excellent built and Class A component inside to deliver the clear, detaiedl and relaxing sounds that you can enjoy for hours of listening. Never tiring moment as you listen to your favourite CD. Value for money at this price range. My humble verdict is 5 out of 5 stars.

Some CD-R / CD-RW are incompatible in playing with this C542. But I’m not bothered as I always let the player to play originally recorded songs like XRCD [16 bits to extended 20 bits CD]. Much more airy and engaging rather than compressed files. My concept in buying a HI-FI CD player is to experience the true sound that this recording company wants us audiophile to enjoy.

Conclusion:
NAD you did it again. These pair made me satisfied.
C542 is no longer at production but I still prefer this player for more years to come.

Submitted by authentic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I paid USD420 for this piece of near-junk in Mar. 2007 in Hong Kong. Initially I bought a lower grade model (1 step down) and to my amazement, when I put put in the first CD, it wouldn't even work, couldn't read, i.e. wouldn't even spin, just dead. So I brought it back to the shop immediately, and got a new one. Tried it there, this time, when the salesman took the CD out, there was several droplets of water on it!!! I called up their service center and filed a complaint, and they recommended this "better version", the C542. Being 24 bit, the sound is better, acceptable.

After 1 year and 2 months, when the warranty JUST expired, this C542 started to skip tracks, always around the 4th/5th song, vertually with every CD (they're originals, and scratch free). I remember an old trick which I used with my previous CD player. So I opened the CD player and wiped the steel rod which the CD head travelled on with engine oil (any hardware store has it), as I figured the problem was caused by a slight tug at the same spot. It worked. No more skipping.

For the last 3 years, every 7-8 months, the same problem came up, and I had to do the same exercise.

I wouldn't advice anyone buying NAD junks unless you're prepared to face challenges that you never had with CD players in your life.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by principato a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
Purchased this C542 unit to replace a NAD C540 because the transport mechanism on the 540 crapped the bed. It wouldn't recognize any disks, and had to fiddle and fuss with it (to the point of hitting the unit on the side to get it to "see" the disk) just to play a disk. I opened up the unit, (warranty expired) to fine that the spindle was getting stuck on the up swing. The hit on the side released it. So, I went to get the C542 as a replacement and upgrade. After the salesman's assurance that the transport mechanism on the C542 is much better, I bought it, and was very pleased with the sound for the money. It's a definite improvement over the C540 which I liked also. After 3 to 4 months, the better transport mechanism of the C542 started acting up worse than the C540. It's been progressively worse since that time. I wasn't about to go through the many months of repair back and forth that I went through with the C540. It doesn't seem worth it to purchase a unit just to have it sit at some repair facility when there are so many excellent units on the market that actually work. And after reading the reviews here, it seems that more than a couple folks have had the same experience. So, I'll save up my cash and get a Rotel, several of which I've heard and sound marvelous. A friend of mine has a Rotel unit that sounds exceptional, and at no extra cost, actually plays the CD every time, without having to kick it in the slats. I'm not giving NAD a third chance, they can keep there products.

Purchased At:   Saturday Audio Excha

Submitted by yiun a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had a bit of luck purchased this "new" unit from eBay. The soundstage is quite clear and has a lot of details. The frequency responses is quite smooth and natural even at high and low frequencies, although the interconnects also play a part in it. I enjoy it very much. This is the first time I can hear such depth and positioning of sound from a CD player.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Lawrence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have a bit of luck purchased this from eBay. The overall soundstage is good and very detail. There are clear and smooth response across full range of frequencies. I am not a particular fan of HDCD and have not found it to be extremely entertaining as some have written. Perhaps I have not come across a very good HDCD recording yet. There has been no noticable difference for those I have tested.

Purchased At:   eBay

best speaker pairing with NAD 720BEE and C542

Hi everyone, Any thoughts for best all-round speaker pairing for NAD 720BEE and C542? Mid-size living room set up with low to moderate listening levels (with the occasional blast when no one's home!). All musical genres. Budget is up to $1,000US. Thanks.Read More »

NAD C542 v Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 for NAD 320BEE and B&W602s3?

hello guys! after months of contemplation on the best speaker and amp to replace my old wharfy 8.2s and yamaha, i finally bought the B&W 602s3 and the NAD 320BEE. I am now contemplating which cd player is best for my new set-up. So far, my choices has been narrowed to two - the NAD C542 v Cam ... Read More »

NAD C542 vs Cambridge Audio 640C V2

OK here it is again. NAD C542 vs Cambridge Audio 640C V2? Which is the one you guys think would be the best combination when used with their respective Amps 640A and NAD C352CT. I had my heart set on getting the Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers. The Cambridge Audio looks a nicer set but not actually ... Read More »

CA azur 640c or marantz cd 600ose or nad c542

Which one would you choose ? Music taste: Jazz, Blues, classic rock like Pink Floyd, dire straits, Steely Dan, hugo masakela, some classical, female jazz artists like Diana krall. Amp: Nad separates Speakers: dynaudio audience 82. I like a very analogue sound which is punchy, dynamic and natural ... Read More »

NAD 521BEE vs. C542 Opinions

Well after deciding that I really do need a new CD player, I've narrowed down my choices to one of these 2 NAD players. I borrowed a C542 and could hear things on my stereo that I've never heard before. What are your thoughts? Is the 542 worth an extra $200 and what useful features do you get ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: