NAD 523 CD Players

3.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $399.00

5 disc changer

Submitted by excalibur313 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
This cd changer definitely sounds fantastic. It is very characteristic of NADs warmness. It was a perfect match to my C740 reciever. It was always finiky about playing cds that weren't in perfect condition. The problem was that I got this B stock which means that it was one that someone returned after not liking it. The warranty is about 90 days with it instead of a year and in the beginning it was fantastic but after about 6 months it started skipping like crazy and it got to the point where it couldn't read cds at all. I took it in to get repaired and spent $150 and it worke again for about 6 months and the same thing happened again. I called NAD and they said it was out of warranty so they wouldn't fix it.

Purchased At:   State Street Discoun

Submitted by Chuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Have enjoyed this CD player for many yrs and it is the smoothest sounding unit in this price range. Have a single sony and this one for parties, and I use this one more as a critical listening unit than the sony. It fits nicely into my system with Ultra Link interconnects. Perfect mid-fi unit and sounds far richer than this price range.

My system now:
Sony CD/DVD

Purchased At:   Treble Clef

Submitted by Marijan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a multi-play CD player. I have always liked NAD, and the 523 does not disappoint. The sound is detailed and clear, build quality great, and the utility very high. I will keep this CD player for years to come. Some drawbacks are that it does not have a digital output or HDCD compatible. I guess this will be added sooner than later. It does play CDR's as well!

Purchased At:   Yahoo!

Submitted by Phil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit on strength of several reviews in British Hi Fi magazines. The sound was good but the right channel developed a distortion that seemed to get worse over time. I returned to the dealer and upgraded to a Harman Kardon FL 8550 (for and extra $20 CAD). What a difference! The HK has dual Bur Brown 20 bit DACs and an HDCD processor. There is simply no comparison between this and the NAD for the same $$.

Submitted by Alan a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
Recently replaced a mid-range Yamaha player with the NAD 523. This player is heads and tails above the Onkyo, Marantz and other Yamaha machines that I auditioned. It is clean, quiet and produces excellent sound staging and range on a variety of music choices. As I broke in the machine the sound only improved and although I can't confidently use the discriptive language found in other reveiws, most importantly I have not experienced listener fatigue or any harshness emanating from the 523. For the money, true value from a company that has always done me right.
Part of the following set up;
NAD 304 integrated amp
NAD 412 Tuner
Paradigm Reference 60's v. 2
DH Labs T-14 single wired
DH Labs BL-II interconnects.

Award-Winning Axiom: