NAD 512 CD Players

3.97/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $329.00

Signal to Noise Ratio:(de-emphasis off-100dB, de-emphasis on-102dB, Channel Separation:(1kHz, >110dB, 10kHz, >102dB)

Submitted by spyddie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
After three months of listening, I think I am ready to give it a quick review. I purchased this unit from ebay about 3 months ago. After reading all the reviews here, I was unsure about getting it at first. It sounds much better than the mass produce CD players that one can get at from local electronic store. Sure it doesn't sound like my proceed CD/DA combination but use it in my second system which consist mainly NADs it really sounds beautiful. The nad 512 sounds excellent with deep and wide sound stage, image is excellent. For the money I paid I have no complains.

Submitted by GC a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Sound quality is better than most players under $350.00... built quality is good also. The top-end is not rolled off, as many so-called "hi-end" CD players are, so, with trashy CD's [75% of what's on the market] the sound is rather bright... although, with well recorded music, the treble is fairly enjoyable.
A problem for me is; this player has low impedence output... which doesn't work well with my older [70's] pre-amp...
On the negitive; the "scan" is basicly useless [slow as death], the display is useless [unless you use a telescope], and the disc drawer sounds like "heavy machinery" when opening and closing.

But, for $229.00, the NAD was better than anything else I knew of, except older Denon [or other HQ used] CD players... and since I wanted something new, the 512 was my best choice...

Purchased At:   SoundCity

Submitted by Roman Artemenko a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
powerblock inside always overheated ...
the display burned ...
Hey, NAD's designers!!! You should care about what kind of "surprises"! Because quality of sound is great, but it's not enough to make some people be happy!
About sound - I'm still enjoy it - anyway I have no money to buy another cd player :)

Purchased At:   secondhand

Submitted by Randy a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a great CD player for any mid to high level system. I greatly implore you to consider the NAD line of CD players if you at all interested in upgrading. Many articles were published in late '97 claiming this is argueably the best CD value under $1000. My only reason to ever stop using this product is SACD.

Purchased At:   Soundcity.com

Submitted by Phil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
The NAD 512 certainly shows you how good budget-audiophile components have gotten in recent years. No, it does not have the extension, transparency, detail, or dynamics of much more expensive CD players, but at $320, you have to expect this. It sounds good for what it is, though.

The display, however, is a disappointing drawback... Mine burned out after a year and a half. Mayber newer units have this problem fixed, but it's something to consider.

If you are on an extremely tight budget but want to start to build a very basic high sound-quality system, I would recommend this player. Personally, I bought this player only because I wanted a cheap audiophile CD player until I could afford something better. I was happy for a while, but I've just upgraded to a Naim and there is just simply no comparison.

Sennheiser: