NAD 510 CD Players

3.08/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $229.00

Signal to Noise Ratio:(de-emphasis off-100dB, de-emphasis on-102dB, Channel Separation:(1kHz, >110dB, 10kHz, >102dB)

Submitted by Duane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
Thoroughly enjoy the sound produced by this simple player. I've heard worse from more expensive units. I use it in my bedroom so a remote would be nice, but I can get by without it. Used with 1979 Sony TA-F3A and B&W 302's to produce a detailed but not harsh sound.

Submitted by Roelof Loen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
The only real disadvantage is the loud click that you hear at the beginning of a track sometimes. The overall sound-improvement over my Pioneer cd-player (which was more expensive than the NAD and broke down after 4 years) is stunning. The fact that it's non-programmable was a bit of a bummer but now I finally play my cd's from the first till the last track instead of zappping like crazy :)

Purchased At:   Krenning Audio, Holland

Submitted by Alexander Rozario a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
For the price there are very few otehr players out there which can match the NAD when it comes to good tonal balance and a taste of the high end. Though it does have its good points the NAD also suffers from reliability problems. I managed to get rid of the CD skips by placing it where there is no breeze and also on a good rigid stand. It's been 4 years now and the NAD is starting to give a few problems like skipping tracks and not reading the CD. This can be caused by a worn laser which is normal. Another bad thing about the NAD is its limitations when it comes to upgrading. There is no digital output so you can't do much. I've trued to do a few mods under the cover such as replacing the power supply caps with Philips caps and adding bypass caps to the ned of these. I've also replaced the output jacks with gold-plated ones. I';ve changed the power cord and added an IEC connector. I've changed the feet and added car wheel bearings to each foot. So far all these mods have brought significant improvements to the sound and I hope to upgrade the transport soon.

Purchased At:   can't remember

Submitted by J Kenney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is the best CD player for the money. I bought this player about four years ago and never had a problem with it. Simple to use and great sounding.

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Submitted by Salvo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
A friend of mine owns this player and we have listened to it on and off for about two years - about every second or third day - so I think I can comment fairly.
The 510 doesn't sound terrible, it's just that other machines do what it does so much better.
The first thing I noticed with this player is the complete lack of bass detail - on Moby's Natural Blues the bass rumbles heavily throughout the track, sort of a very low-pitched hum - this is ENTIRELY nonexistent through the 510.
Also, the sound lacks substance and tangibility - there's none of that "you are there" feeling - it's just all too diffused and thin. As a result the music never really sucks you in.
Detail levels are not very good either - especially microdynamics and ambient details are poor - making it difficult to "understand" the inner workings of the music.
I can't really say what it does very well - soundstaging seems OK and imaging is also pretty good (although this may be the speakers shining through) - but one struggles to shake the feeling that you aren't getting the most of the music.
I must add though that this player is into its last days - it will be upgraded soon to fit in with the rest of the set-up which is, in my opinion, very good.
System: Musical Fidelity Tempest Integrated Amp, NAD 510 (about to go), Inifity Reference 51i speakers (awesome bass response - great highs and mids - although the bass driver integration could possibly be a bit better) and Cable Talk cables.
All said, the player certainly isn't a pile of horsewaste, but it is bettered significantly by many other players in its class.

WTS:TomTom Go 910 GPS Car Navigation System @150usd/TomTom Go 510 GPS @ 180usd

COMPANY:STRONG ELECTRONICS LTD ADDRESS:24,Bourne Work sWhyteleafe Hill CITY:Whyteleafe COUTRY:UNITED KINGDOM PHONE NO:+44 70457 29454 +44 70457 29449 REGISTRATION NO:01396786 VAT number:GB 220 1067 30 INCORPORATION DATE 11-05-1999 EMAIL ADDRESS::::(digit ... Read More »

The post 45,510+ members at AR have been waiting for.

No I'm not leaving. Sorry. But.. [url]http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=vinyl&m=524951[/url] I knew Benz Micro outsourced their most affordable products, but I didnt know about this one. -JRARead More »

Pioneer 510 HD

I Am Trying To Replace The Deflection Board And Need The Service Codes Or Instruction From The Service Manual. Pleas Help.Read More »

novice question, progressive scan v. interlace with pioneer elite 510

I have the sony s9000es dvd player, I noticed that when I put the DVD player in interlace mode, the picture was more vibrant than when I ran the DVD player in progressive mode. Should that be? What should look better. I'm a novice, please help.Read More »

Trouble with bass mgmt on HK AVR 510 and/or Pioneer 563a

Hello all.. I'm new to this forum. I thought I would post a small dillema I have to see if any of you can give me some advice. Here's my problem: I recently bought a Pioneer 563a universal player to use for movies, SACD, and DVD-A. I hooked it up to my HK AVR510 via a digital coax (for DVD ... Read More »