Myryad MC100 CD Players

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Myryad MC1000 CDplayer

Submitted by ady a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
This review is for MCD 200, not 100.

I am a big fan of American made amplifier and British CD player. MCD 200 plays along with my McIntosh C 32 Preamp, and MC 7150 power amplifier.

To say it briefly, MCD 200 sounds wonderful! It has all the details. It sounds airy on its high. Mid range is the best of all! That wide, very open midrange is far better than 2K~3K CD players. Bass? Yes! Its bass impact is awsome! Not muddy, not murky. It just produces rock solid bottom. You can feel how drum rolls.

Other British CD players like Arcam, NAD can't beat this Myryad MCD 200. They sound a lot similar, but MCD 200 has more detail and dynamic.

Plus, it looks very good, and is built like TANK. Remote has very nice functions and easy to use.

If you find this at good price - say under $900, try it. It will bring you new phase of music listening experience.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by sound67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is about the successor of the MCD100, the MCD200 (when will the people here update the database?).

I tested the Myryad MCD 200 as part of an extensive audition for my stereo chain of Kef Reference 203 speakers and a German ASR Schäfer Emitter amplifier. Other products in the $600-1,800 range I auditioned included the Rega "Planet 2000", the Arcam CD 73T, the NAD S500i, the T+A 1230 and the Dynaco CDV-2 (tube player). First of all, the differences - in an A/B synch comparison on the same amp, volume-adjusted, were minimal - I cannot say that the Arcam CD73 at $600 was *worse* in any kind of way than the NAD S500i at $1,800. Mind, only direct comparisons are valid: if you audition the units one after another, you're lost, because your mind will tell you that there HAS TO be a huge difference, when in fact there is hardly any. Very small differences were notable: a slight midrange increase on the NAD, harsher treble on a Musical Fidelity A3.2, warmer sound from the Arcam.

One single player did not make ANY impression at all: the Myryad MCD 200. At about $1,200, it was right in the middle of the range I auditioned, but it is the one play I'd say that was not worth even $600. It had no "odour" whatsoever, nothing you can put your finger. In other words, its most oustanding characteristic was a distinct lack of character.

Some will consider this a bonus, i.e. if you regard neutrality as the most important factor in sound reproduction. I do not: In my book, each individual member of the chain must contribute SOMETHING to the overall picture. Warmth, detail, imaging, SOMETHING. The Myryad added nothing. If anything, it was "open" - meaning thin-sounding.

Looks can be deceptive too: The Myryad looks cool and well-built, which in fact it is not. It's alloy front is of the "tin can" thickness, the transport looks weighty but is indeed flimsy, and the whole unit, for all its cabinet dimesions, weighs just over 6 kilos. So, evidently, the money is not spent on "value".

It certainly isn't spend on sound, and this is why I suggest you'll buy any of the abovementioned CD players, except the Myryad. And since the sound differences are so small, think twioce whether you want to spend an extra $1,000 on built alone.

If you like the Myryad, consider buying a Sony or Denon consumer player for a third or even a quarter of the Myryad's price. You'll get the same sound, and you can spend the rest on other equipment.

In the end, because I was willing to spend around $1,500, I took the small Arcam's bigger brother, the CD 93T. It offers a dual mono structure with 4 upsampling 24-bit converters. Does it sound different from the small model, which has only one such chip and doesn't upsample to 192khz ("just" to 96khz)? Not really no.

Purchased At:   local hifi dealer

Submitted by kenqc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned krell, and NAD products for years. After I sold my Krell and my NAD, I was without a cd player. I happened across this fine cd player.

I listen to Jazz and classic rock. The cd player is great in both venues. It plays all cds in fine order and offers musical satisfaction in these genres.

The cd player is a fine piece of kit, offering a consistent sound regardless of price.

Purchased At:   Myryad dealer in the

Submitted by Jason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
This CD player has many strengths and no real weaknesses that I can find on my system. I will just make a quick list of its good qualities:

The detail is exceptional, tonal quality is exceptionaly smooth, build quality is very solid and appears to be excellent from the outside appearance, sound staging is definitely very good, and noise is non-existant. This CD player sounds outstanding.

This CD players dynamics are not very forward, but follow the middle of the road.

I would recommend the following complimentary components to take advantage of these extremely pleasing musical qualities that are not overly aggressive. I am using a McIntosh MC2205 amplifier (200W/ch) with no pre-amp. I immediately noticed the outstanding quality of the Myryad when I hooked the player straight up to the amp. The sound stage that one gets this way relies completely on the CD player. When my Rotel 971 was hooked up to the Mac in this manner, the sound stage was very lacking. Instruments blended together. The Rotel sounds very good now with my Marantz 2385 receiver where the receivers pre-amp section can create an enormous sound stage for the Rotel's music. But the Rotel does not have a great sound stage of its own. The Myryad, however, can stand alone with the Mac amp quite nicely. The sound stage is moderately large, with very nice detail and space between the instruments. This demonstrates the Myryad's quality in and of itself.

That being said, I think that an amplifier with plenty of power and dynamics will deliver the Myryad's music very nicely. I would also recommend interconnects that are open and not subdued, like Nordost Blue Heaven, Red Dawn or someting similar. This should work quite nicely.

I am looking for a pre-amp that will increase the size of the sound stage slightly, and also increase the musicality/warmth ever-so-slightly, but also retain all of the detail and clarity. If you have any recommendations, please email me. I am looking at a Conrad Johnson PV-10AL but haven't settled on it yet.

5 stars for the Myryad. It is an extremely honest, refined, and musical player and meets or exceeds my musical demands.

Purchased At:   Circle Stereo

Submitted by Geoff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I recently upgraded from the Arcam Alpha 7SE which I had for just over a year. It gets rave reviews in the UK hi-fi press and offers very good value for money.
However I wanted to see what spending $700 dollars more can give and I have to say I wish I had skipped the 1st step!
I auditioned it against the highly acclaimed 9SE and it was obviously a 'no contest' almost immediately.
Compared to the Arcam the MC100 was clearer, created a more open soundstage and was more realistic and punchy in the delivery of music.
It is the sort of improvement which made me come home and listen to all my CD collection again.
Whatever you do you must include this in your list of CD players to audition, it's not cheap but it is worth your hard earned cash in my opinion.
My set up is Amp. Biamped Myryad, Mission 752 speakers using Audioquest speaker cables.

TARA LABS: