Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 3D CD Players

4.96/5 (27 Reviews)

First we made a critical analysis of why normal compact disc players sound different to SACD machines. The main difference, which you can hear, measure and easily identify, is in the HF performance. Noise ratio and dynamic range make a small difference. It's commonly believed that the extended frequency response of SACD, up to about 100kHz, is the big reason why SACDs sounds different to ordinary CDs. But over the age of 25, most people can't even hear up to 18kHz, and the older you get, the worse this gets. People in their sixties or older can hear the difference between SACD and CD, so what they're hearing can't be down to the extended HF response.

Our research has shown that the audible differences between CD and SACD are caused by in-band non-linear distortions, group delay, phase-shifts and intermodulation anomalies.

So we have engineered the Nu-Vista 3D to ensure that it has dramatically better HF performance than ordinary CD players in distortion, phase shifts, group delay, inter-modulation, non-linearities and noise ratios. The result is that in-band (20Hz to 25kHz), the Nu-Vista 3D actually measures better than SACD.

To achieve this, the Nu-Vista 3D up-samples 24-bits at 96kHz. This takes all digital error artifacts out of band so they're not a factor up to about 35kHz. As a result, we were able to simplify and re-design the digital and analog filters to be far above the audio band, so that their phase shift and group delay is out of band. This allows for a reduction in overall feedback and simpler circuitry.

Submitted by Ruffra a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
I do not write reviews normally for HIfI equipment even though I have had a passion for quality equipment over the last 40 years. However I think I must add my weight of experience behind this now older product from MF. I brought mine new as a discounted model in 2003 and am still perfectly happy with its performance. As many reviews previously have stated its presents the most analogue sound that has been available on CD players over a number of product generations . More recently I have been able to assess this appealing aspect through high quality headphone listening.
As others have previously explained you can accompany the Nu Vista with upmarket interconnects and a power cord which will enhances its performance to a greater extent and once these are installed you will have a product which stands the test of time.
I have given way to listening more to CD ‘s through this player than LP’s through modified Linn LP12 with Alphason HR100 and Ortofon Kontrapunkt C ( Quite a revealing combination in their own right)
With the right interconnects low frequencies are not an issue and the Mid/Treble is quite outstanding in its presentation. As another review explained with good matching equipment it can easily fill a room with a dynamic soundstage well outside the speaker confines. It feels sometimes with the right tracks like a live performance is in your room ,the soundstage presentations that good.
If you want a true piece of Audiophile quality and probably history I commend this item to you ( Probably only now available 2nd hand via Ebay) .

Submitted by delfinus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I saw that there has not been an update review for this player for a long time now. I recently just purchased this Nu-Vista 3D CD player and I need to say that I'm impressed how much satisfaction it brought into my system. I tried some combination on my Canton Vento 807 speakers, mostly older combination of Hi-Fi equipment like Gryphon Tabu configuration that I borrowed from my friend and I was very setisfied with that. This Gryphon setup was somehow a reference for what I want to build someday. I need to say that some months ago I also purchased Musical Fidelity A308 Dual Mono integrated and improved a system which become more authorative than before with regular A/V Marantz receiver. After reading I think whole internet about the Nu-Vista and also great reviews here at AudioReview I decided that best synergy can maybe be achieved with Musical Fidelity. So thanks a lot to all reviewers who helped me much that I found such an excelent player in one move. I thought about A5 and A5.5 CD players first as they are less pricy, even though they are newer, but I thought I would risk a bit more and would give classics and original English product a chance so I choose a Nu-Vista to go for. And I do not regret it.
I bought it second hand from E-bay in a mint condition with No.312 from the 500 series. What impressed me most is that reviews that are written here are not lyrical imagination. Best things that this player brought to me is a really huge, huge sound stage. I have a feeling that speakers are not playing any more but whole wall in front of me or better whole room. I just have a feeling that my speakers grow in size from the floor to the ceiling. Sound become completly silky smooth. Before with old Marantz CDP I was aware that the sound is grained and also a bit thin. Here with Nu-Vista sound become substantially more bold, instruments become more lively, with great body and also singer not just sing but you can feel their dimensions in space and every move they make with lips and tongue. Sound become very detailed, smooth and I just simply love to listen this Hi-Fi combination for hours. Time is just flying with Nu-Vista and I can only recommend it if you have an intention.

Submitted by bonesetter2004 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is an update to the review below, as i thought clarification was needed as to exactly what the upgrade consisted of.

The main part of the upgrade was a Ticord research clock 4, with their 'never connected' dedicated power supply. Details of this and many reviews can be found on the net. The DAC was NOT changed, as DAC's were said not to effect sound quality all that much. Power supplies to the op-amps were uprated, and most of the capacitors were changed - SOME of which were changed for Black Gates. Apparantly these work better in some areas and not others.

The work was done by CPT Acousics of Ludlow, UK.

I can say for sure that the sound quality is better than vinyl. Again, many reviews exist about exactly how clock upgrades improve sound.

I would say to anyone to go for this type of upgrade, as it massively improves your existing player, for not much money. What you end up with is a player easily worth double its original value.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by bonesetter2004 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is the best player I have heard – BUT not in standard form! I had the player modified with an extra two external power supplies which supply most of the internals, black gate capacitors and the DAC got changed to Burr Brown.
The result? I don’t see how a cd player can get any better… the presentation now reaches well into the room, separation of individual sounds and instruments is immense. And what a fat, warm, seductive sound! Badly recorded discs which might give that occasional raw edge, simply don’t any more, it makes pearls out of them. The forwardness does not fatigue, it is still relaxing to listen to, quite addictive in fact.
If you’ve listened to an unmodified one, then I suppose imagine that sound on steroids, but organic ones that make the sound soft and round – get your face between them and stay there for a while sort of sound. It cost 800 GBP to modify. But I am going no-where else after this.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by cksare a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
The solution all my audio problems. This is the best CD player I have ever heard. I have to keep looking at it to remind me thats its a CD Im hearing. Seperation and detail are exquisitely performed by this well built machine. For the first time in a long time I'm not looking for whats around the corner. My CD collection has a whole new leease on life

Purchased At:   Preowned