Music Hall Maverick CD Players

3/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1990.00

• Sony CXD2752 SACD decoder chip • 24-bit/96kHz upsampling via Crystal CS8420 sample rate converter • Burr-Brown PCM1738 24-bit/192kHz DAC for standard CD and SACD • Rigid full aluminum chassis and faceplate • Sony KHM 234AAA laser head and servo system • 2 transformers provide separate power to the analog and digital systems • Vibration-canceling dimpled rubber feet • Remote controllable standby/power function • Easily readable and dimmable florescent display

Submitted by Dale Lewis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have not had ant of the issues that I have heard from the top 5 'philes.
The only issue that I experienced is that the power supply setting that I had selected on my Power Plant, P-300. A tweak of the PP-300 settings and all was happy.
This player has a good convincing sound without adding those tripping it the out door effects that many players exhibit. Much like the comparing a real sounding pair of headphones compared to those many that put your head in outer space for the music. I can find many comments that I can state about many players. This player has gotten out of the way and played the music without hoopla or lethargy

Purchased At:   Godd Guys

Submitted by BigThistle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Purchased a modified Maverick with upgraded OP amps - smoother more extended midrange and bass.

I have this in my system with ELAC Dolce Vita speakers powered by a 50wpc AI integrated tube amp with KT88's and PNF Audio speaker and power cables.

The playback of redbook CD's is outstanding, jury is out on the upsampling, and I'm still not convinced by SACD. I also get a 'hum-hum' sound on SACD at higher volume.

The unit has performed well, although it does have it's quirks - such as 'undisk' and takes time to read some disks - but nothing that makes me want to get rid of it.

Purchased At:   www.undergroundaudio

Submitted by libertasdon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Maverick CD/SACD player looks very impressive and matches up well with the Music Hall Mambo Class A amplifier in my living room. But looks are deceiving. The Maverick has had a number of defects that go right to issue of quality in high end audio. Over the time I have had it, the Maverick has on at least a half-dozen occasions suddenly stopped playing program material and has sent a LOUD hissing noise to the Magnaplanar 1.6qr's that complete my system. Additionally, and more frequently, the Maverick has emitted a loud electric hum when playing certain cd's. The hum or rumble was audible over the program and lasted for as long as 4 to 5 minutes before fading. Unlike the loud white noise, the hum was consistent and repeatable. I emailed Music Hall and requested advice, but they never responded. My dealer initially acted surprised, but eventually admitted there were "issues" with early Mavericks. It required a week's time and a second call from the dealer before the authorized repair person returned my message and gave me directions to his shop. From my home to his shop involved a 70-mile, one-way trip over 3 Los Angeles area freeways. When I got there, he was courteous, but noncommittal. He took a check for $60 and generously loaned me a Jolida tube-based CD player to use while mine remained with him. Later he called to say he could not reproduce the hiss, but thought he had a fix for it anyway. He had observed the loud hum on startup and advised he could fix it too for $200. I gave him the go ahead and returned the next day with one of my discs that elicited the hum. Hey. No hum. I have played the Maverick intensively since I got it back and the hum has not reappeared. Neither has the white noise. But last night the Maverick refused to read one of my SACD's and played another only with constant skipping. Although it was Sunday evening, I called the repairer and explained the situation. He stated that it sounded like a new board was needed and he would install one for free. He offered the opinion that super audio was too complex and led to many similiar problems across the industry. He strongly advised that I stay away from SA. I did not tell him I just ordered the complete set of Beethoven's symphonies in super audio.

Purchased At:   Digital Ear, Tustin,

Submitted by O'Reilly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased this as a DEMO Unit.

This is a product with tremendous potential. The sound quailty is quite impressive. The sound is clean and tight, with decent imagery and body. The sound-staging is good (though not outstanding) for its price category. Playback on normal CD's are outstanding. Upsampling produces a slightly different though not better (in my opinion) sound.SACD Playerback produces a richer, more "analog" sounding playback. Quite good.

In spite of its solid build quality, I don't think that this player has been fully developed.

The Transport is not the quietest device around. Certainly for a $1500 player, you expect less noise.

It takes forever (well at least 10 seconds) to regognise a disk. In some cases, it refuse to acknowlegde the presence of a disk. For me this means that four of my favourite CD's (Bill Evan, Charles Mingus, Alecia Keys, and Creed) have to be listened to in my car. It is really quite annoying.

Also recently I started hearing a strange vibrating noise when player CD's. Its quite unnerving. I am still trying to figure out what that is about.

So in general, this player is a mixed bag. When it decides to read the disks it produces great sound for the price. However, for the price, you expect better consistency and reliability.

Purchased At:   Red Trumpet.com

Submitted by bsc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
This has got to be the worse CD player that I ever had the displeasure in using. Where should I start? Are there even enough words or profanity one can use in describing this "thing" that Music Hall tries to pass off as a CD player?

Ok, lets begin with the sound. On upsampled mode, the sound was way too soft and warm. In other words, it was relatively dull sounding with dynamic passages subdued to a fairly large extent. When upsampling was turned off, the CD player actually sounded better but was a bit on the bright and sterile side. The redbook sound was more focused and detailed than its upsampled mode. However, whether it be in regular CD mode or in upsampling mode, it was not much of an improvement over my cheapo CD player, $300 Marantz CC3000, that it replaced, and was inferior to my $200 Sony CD player that I still had.

Unfortunately, the problems with this CD player doesn't stop with the above mediocre sound reproduction. Upon start up, the CD player makes a fairly loud, extended whining sound. Correspondence with Roy Hall, of Music Hall, ensured me that this was normal. Huh? You got to be cosmically kidding me. It sounds like someone is torturing a cat in the back alley and for a fairly lengthy time too.

Next irritation is that it takes forever for the CD player to read the disc. Often enough, the CD player is unable to read the disc and one has to reload the CD a number of times before it is read. And this is in reading redbook CDs purchased from the store and not copied CD-R discs either. Once, I had to shut the power off and reload the disc before it could be read.

A couple of times, I could not switch from one song to another even though it played a few songs already. Somehow, the CD player lost its ability to read the disc. Again, I had to eject and reload the disc.

The next headache with this player is that I often had to press the buttons more than once before the CD player reacted. It hardly ever works if the button(s) is only pressed once.

Although the remote is made of aluminum and seems quite sturdy and attractive, it is a bit on the heavy side to be holding for any extended period of time. Also, one has to be aware that if you lose the remote, you can no longer switch between SACD and regular CD mode.

The display is a complete joke. Nothing is legible from more than a couple of feet away. There is no music calender or selection of various time displays (eg. no time remaining display option). The single light is way too bright. Due to the upsampling purple light being composed of separate blue and red LEDs, the colour will change, from purple to red to blue, if you move around in your seat. Quite irritating especially if you are trying to concentrate on the music or lack-of on this CD player.

The final straw with this CD player was when it played back a couple of CDs with a muted gap in certain music passages. One CD was Norah Jones' Come Away with Me, a CD that never caused my any problems before. When I took the player back to the dealer, I tried the same CD on another Maverick player with the same results - a dark, muted gap on certain songs. The Norah Jones' CD did not cause any of these problems on any of the other NON-Maverick CD players that I tried at the store.

I finally ended up returning the Maverick and purchased a discontinued Arcam CD92 player for about the same price. The Arcam's sound blew away both the Maverick's upsampling and redbook CD music playback. Also, there was no problems, weird noises, etc. with the Arcam. Only problem, was that I got into the habit of pressing any button 2 or 3 times which drove the Arcam CD player crazy. Gees, I wonder where I picked up that bad habit?

Purchased At:   Commercial Electroni

Maverick Tubemagic

Here's an update on the Maverick Tubemagic DAC/Preamp. Today I placed it in my reference system as both a DAC and Preamp and I was more than pleasantly surprised. There was vey good tonal balance. Bass was strong and controlled. Mids were smooth, clear and warm. Treble was smooth, detailed and ... Read More »

Maverick Magic Tube DAC?

I'm considering one of these well reviewed and inexpensive ( $199 ) combo pre-amp/DAC's. But would it be an improvement over the good sounding DAC in my Rotel which has the TDA1541A?Read More »

BLG CP024: