Meridian G08 CD Players

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

G08 24-bit Upsampling Compact Disc Player

Submitted by ANDY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2016

Bottom Line:
At this price range the Meridian G08 can hardly be considered real value for money but you might be surprised, because this CD machine offers a awful lot even with this price tag! such as? well for example this is one of the best looking machines in the history of compact disc players, available in silver or black, personally I prefer black because it matches the rest of my system, a machine that's build to last (like a rolls Royce car) and finally and most importantly a CD player that sounds as impressive as anything else worldwide (including those players twice the price). The sound? Huge, powerful, transparent, and with a abundance of detail thanks to the CD players monster size sound stage, and completely free from distortion the way a cheaper machine is not, in a word the sound is "additive" but, and its a big but, you will need the very best separates that money can buy. However ever this machine can not save some recordings which brings me to a pertinent downside, the players relentless with anything but perfect recordings so be warned! less than perfect and the recording will be exposed, but anything well produced will benefit enormously . Like I say the way the machine sounds really powerful on low volume is so important which means you can listen to music for hours on end without fatigue, and you won't run the risk of damaging your hearing permanently, I listen to AOR and Metal so that's really important to me. CHECK IT OUT!

Submitted by P a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
A friend of mine brought one a few months ago when I was still using a Meridian G98DH transport a very good machine but due to wanting a cd only machine & a s/h one coming up at bargain price could'nt turn it down :)
I tested both machines side by side & the G08 is better for music there was not a huge gap but better separation tighter bass more detail etc,Meridian is good smooth detailed kit always erring towards the same quality sound anyone who says the G08 is bright it's ether mismatched or the brightness is elsewhere in your system certainly not the player.
If you use glass shelved racks thats a main culprit for brightness since Iv made my own perspex/carbon legged diy rack I had to sell all my isolation products cos they just compress the dynamics of the soundstage on all my kit.

Anyhow back the the G08 in use it's superb the way it can convey a huge inky black space between notes revealing huge beyond wall over & above your head in all directions imaging never getting to harsh or bright with female vocals brass etc bass is quite a bit deeper than i had before & I thought that was the best it could get amazing how wrong you can be with newer kit.

To go beyond this level it'd take a special machine maybe a Wadia or Esoteric but costs will soar & can one justify if your getting the best from them in a given setup ?

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by jazz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought the Meridian G08 player to replace an Ayre CX7e. I auditoned the Ayre at a local dealer in a system consisting of all Ayre components and Piega monitors. In that system it was a great performer, with explosive dynamics and great low level resolution. I was sold. Now, ofcourse, like any other component, a CD player's performance is system dependent, and in my system, comprised of a Balanced Audio Technology integrated amplifier and Aerial Acoustics Model 6s floorstanders, the Ayre proved to be fatiguing. Even after 100s of hours of play, it still proved to be too bright and forward to me.

My search for a replacement led me to audition the Meridian. I also planned to audition a McIntoch player, but after listening to song after song on the Meridian, I knew my mind was made up. The Meridian was smooth, silky, dynamic, and refined, all at the same time. It offered all the detail you could want, but was utterly unfatiguing. I brought in a broad range of recordings to audition the Meridian with, from artists including Fiest, Jill Scott, Dave Brubeck, Wilco, Allison Krause and Sade. Every song I listened to was absolutely thrilling. (I am sure it didn't hurt that the system I auditioned it on included Bryston and McIntosh integrated amps and Dali Euphonia and Linn Akurate speakers)

I bought the Meridian the same day and hooked it up to my system (BAT and Aerial Acoustics). I am happy to say that it provided the same gorgeous, smooth, silky performance in my system that it had in the store. The Meridian does not highlight any frequency range above any other, offering an extremely well balanced sound. Its bass response and impactfulness continue to impress.

The unit I purchased was a store demo so it was fully broken in by the time I got it. I have owned the unit for about three weeks and in that time hardly a day has gone by that I did not play at least one or two cds on it. In fact I have had several two to three hours listening sessions with nary a hint of fatigue. Female vocals are rendered with all the breath and high frequency extension the recordings offer up, without a trace of grain or edginess. This was proved out when listening to Allison Krause on "Jacob's Dream" and Fiest throughout her "Reminder" CD. The voices of Sade and Norah Jones are presented in all their smooth, lush, rich glory. Guitars, drums cymbals, horns of all sorts, strings, you name it, are all presented with great tonal accuracy and depth. Whether playing music loud or soft, this player will bring you closer to the music.

I have auditioned players from Ayre, Rega, and Arcam, and I must say that the Meridian smoked them all in its ability to remain composed at the highest frequencies. The Meridian's bass output is every bit the equal of the Ayre, and it offers all the suave sophistication of the Arcam FMJ CD 36, but with more life and excitement. The Rega Apollo is a great CD player at its price, but it cannot begin to compete with the Meridian in resolving complex musical passages.

In sum, I have no criticisms of this player. No matter what your budget I recommend giving the Meridian an audition. The Meridian will be staying in my system for a long time.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Andy Boy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
At this price the Meridian G08 can hardly be considered real value for money......but you might be surprised! What this machine offers is an awful lot even for £2500, for example you have one of the most fetching looking compact disc machines in the history of CD, a CD player that sounds as impressive as any machine worldwide including those 'twice' the price, and finally a machine that is really well built....like a rolls royce car. The one thing I really like about the G08 is that it sounds REALLY powerful at low volume which means you can listen for hours on end without fatigue.

Purchased At:   Musical Images

Submitted by Nicolas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2007

Bottom Line:
I found the Meridian to have the deeper soundscape, with pinpoint location of instruments.
It`s ok accept the price

Purchased At:   Indonesia