Meridian 508.24 CD Players

4.81/5 (48 Reviews) MSRP : $3995.00

Submitted by Glen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
one of the best cd player available Very smooth sounding. Sweet highs and taught bass.Anyone who has listened to the 508.24 I and has heard its ability
to outperform $ 10,000 reference players could never imagine improvement
would be possible

Submitted by K. Raemuse a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
After more than 10 years of use, I still rank this CD player among the best. The Meridian 508.24 is a classic and I am still able to hear details, depth, and sound which impress me to this day. A word of caution, this unit will also reveal whether you have a "poor" CD recording.

Submitted by William a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this used for about $1300 from Echo Audio upgrading from a Rotel RCD-970. At first I wasn't sure I liked the sound because it seemed dark and murky to a fault. However after listening to it for several months I became quite comfortable with the sound. All the raves which describe it as not being strident in the least with sweet mids are accurate. If you have a system which is already too laid back and soft sounding--this may leave you unimpressed. If you want to smooth things out with a player which leans more towards analogue (ie no etched and edgy brightness at all) then check this out. They still seem to reliably fetch over 1k on Ebay.

Submitted by Eli72 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Bottom Line:
One of the best sounding CD players you will find on the used market. This is probably the best it will get playing normal CDs.

Stereophile Class A recommended and for good reason. Meridian will service the unit, mine just had a transport and laser replaced by meridian just before purchase. Extended highs, Liquid Mid's, and solid deep Bass. I don't think I will ever need another CD player, perhaps maybe a Mark Levinson 309S or a used Meridian 808 only because these can be connected directly to an amplifier and they have digital input connectors, something the Meridian 508.24 lacks. The 508.24 is heavy and built like a tank, smooth operation. I bought the original 508.24 not an upgrade unit. If you find a used 508.24 for sale grab it cause they sell fast on the used market. I did not compare this with other high end players, I mostly purchased this after reading rave reviews everywhere. I am glad I own one.

My associated equipment:

Meridian 508.24

Dynaudio 1.3SE

Mark Levinson 23.5

Proceed AVP2

Submitted by sounddude a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
After the introduction of many $10k+ CD players, the 508.24 remain one of the very best sounding players at any price. For those reviewers with very negative comments on this player, I would suggest that they have their units checked out and serviced at the factory.

I have dropped this player into all types of systems and it consistently impresses with clarity, liquidity, delicacy, weight, richness and quickness.

The 508.24, along with the Levinson 39 CDP, are among the very best ever made. You can get better by spending a lot more, but the marginal return is not significant.

Meridian 508-24

Hi- newbie here. I'm looking to replace my Rega Planet CD player as it's acting up. I have a friend who knows a friend w/ a pristine Meridian 508-24 CD player that wants to sell it. Has box, manual & remote. I know it's many years old & wonder if it is a good unit? Retail was about $3500 when new ... Read More »

BLG CP024: