Meridian 506.24 CD Players

4.83/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $2100.00

24 bit Cd Player

Submitted by Tripping Billy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Recently upgrading my CDP to the Meridian 506.24 was well worth the wait and investment. My prior player was actually my first upgrade to my system about 5 years ago (NAD 521BEE) and was a vast improvement to a "big box" player (vastly exceeds anything commercially available in the $200 range), but the upgrade to Meridian was again (at least) as noticable.

All the reveiws you read here and elsewhere are absolutely true - but I can't vouch for any comparison between the 506, 507 and 508 models.

Upon first listen, A/Bing the 506 cold out of the box against the 521, I thought I'd made a terrible mistake. There were subtle differences between the two, but I had a hard time justifying the $800 difference in price. After a couple of hours, I tried again and began to notice much more of difference. A day later and I just couldn't get CDs off my rack an into the 506 fast enough -- every track I selected just sounded right, and different, than I was used to. In a marathon session last night (about 6 hrs worth) I came to the realization that the 506 is more than good -- its enjoyable to listen to and for long durations, something I couldn't say about the NAD. Typically after 4 or 5 songs on the NAD, I'd had enough and had to take a break. Not so with the Meridian. Another CD, another and then another, and another. My final track of the session was John Hyatt "Have a Little Faith in Me" - a piano/vocal ditty that absolutely exploded out of my speakers in a symphony of simplicity and emotion.

After running it through its paces playing everything from Jann Arden to Rob Zombie, my impression is that it is capable of reproducing and wide range of musical styles and genres. I've heard players with more "PRAT" and "presence", but none with the seemingly inate ability to present CDs with such musicality and balance - at least not in the price range.

The bass end is firm and controlled, the mids well represented and the highs detailed and listenable. Not overwhelmingly detailed or forward - it all just seems to work, to my ears, which was one of the issues with the NAD.

If you are looking for an upgrade on your front end, I'd say this has one has to make the list to be considered - articulate and well mannered, musical and a refined sound stage - in short, it put the enjoyment back into my hobby and I look forward to many years of owning this player.

GEAR --

Meridian 506.24
Audio Refinements Pre5
VTL ST85
Quad 21L
Kimber Hero I/C, Kimber 4/8 TC shotgun/biwire, PS power mains

Submitted by artikulieren a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the CD player puts the music back in digital. I have been searching for a CD player that lives up to its claim of being "musical" for years now. The 506.24 delivers the music on a bed of pure silk. There is not a hint of harshness even when listening to highly electronic songs by Radiohead, Portishead, FSOL, etc. Insturmental and orchestral recordings are sublimely lush and smooth, not frantic and hard like most CD players.

The build quality is simply Meridian: understanded simple elegant looks with black glass (not plexi), matte black metal, minimal use of plastics only in practical places (buttons, etc). The excellent Philips based transport makes it effectively a top loader (which I like because I don't believe that the optical surface of a CD should ever be touched if it can be avoided, even by a quality tray loading CD player). The drawer moves very smoothly and quietly: just as it should, and the whole transport mechanism is contained in it. The thick black glass top plate of the player is a beautiful, reflective touch. It is a truly unique piece.

Voices and insturments are conveyed with a sense of natural realism that I hadn't yet experienced with recorded music. There is a useful delay in changing tracks so the laser doesn't make any unneccisary quick jerks if you hit the wrong track numbers a couple of times. The silent track searching is a little bit of a drawback, but I rarely search through tracks anyway. The huge remote took some getting used to but I just sit it on an end table and have gotten good at punching its buttons in the dark, the amusingly excessive use of real glass in the remote is also a nice touch. It is a pleasing unusual shape, and funtionally it is almost omnidirectional (you can face it almost any direction and it will operate the player just fine).

Before and during my ownership of the Meridian I have owned and used both Rega Planets, Roksan Kandy and Caspian Mk1 and Mk2's, Ah! Tjoeb '99 and 4000, Shanling scd t200 and cd t100, and a number of other lesser players. I found them all lacking certain tonal qualities that the Meridian delivers deftly. It is a lovely thing to own and use every day.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Ang Ho a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very engaging and vinyl-like quality to sound. Great detail at the top end. Superb bass control, weight and slam. The midrange is exemplary - vocals are life-like and the timbre of voices and instruments are well relayed. This player throws an excellent broad soundstage within which vocals and instruments are easily placed. All frequencies are well balanced and proportioned. The overall sound is smooth and non-fatiguing without losing any excitement or emotion the music is conveying. Rhythm and timing are also very good. This is a quality product which has breathed new life into my entire CD collection and I am discovering old discs that simply were not done justice by my older CDP. It plays all types of music well: rock, pop, jazz, orchestral, instrumental.

This is an audiophile bargain in the used market.

My system:
Clearlight Audio Aspekt RDC Rack

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by witters a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
The 506.24 is simply sublime. It offers neutrality with any type of music and imposes no traits of it's own. High levels of detail astound with existing CD's, and you find yourself listening to your whole collection as it all sounds new. I cannot praise this player highly enough. If you can find one, buy it while you can.

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by ab a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
very musical player, very smooth and detailed,very rich sounding. beautyful build-quality and styling. I have tried a arcam fmj cd23, naim cd5, rotel rcd991, marantz cd17mkII and marantz cd6000'KI', but nothing comes close to the relaxed,detailed and rich sound of the 506.24. The sound is very real,focused and airy with excellent soundstaging. Important: burn-in time over 500 hours!!!

60.0 WA BLACK: