Meridian 506.20 CD Players

4.7/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $2095.00

Submitted by chris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
A fantastic player and immense value for money. If you're looking for a solid CD player on a budget,from 600$-700$ Anyone looking for the highest capacity CD players that money can buy, here it is. The sound quality is solid, too.the CD player lives up to the brand's trusted name and is one of the best deals in CD players audio.

Submitted by daveuzuk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this second hand to allow my daughter to have my old Pioneer 802 (well the wife never argued). It partners my Audio Research SP9 Hafler DH 200 power amp (I have bought a second and am loking for a third to tri amp) and was amazed by its natural laid back qualities - imaging and depth.

At first thought I thought it lacked bass slamm but on lengthy listening I realised it prodiced what was on the album and that my earlier cd player emphasized this. I then purchased Art Impression loudspeakers (and you really ought to check these outfrom art-loudspeakers a specialist UK manufacturer) and am in audio heaven.

The 506.20 plays and you listen - nothing added and nothing taken away. I still prefer my Systemdek 4 Rega arm Decca Gold (retipped by expert pickups)but hey Cd is never ever going to sound as good as vinyl.

For anyone looking for a sonic bargain second hand this has to be the machine - you won't be dissapointed provided the rest of your equipement is up to it.

Purchased At:   Listen Inn Northants

Submitted by Peter the Alligator a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I find the 506.20 a very smooth and musical player which really shines with jazzmusic. It has a tuneful bass and a nice open and airy soundstage. It is also very detailed.
One month ago I have heard the Meridian 588. That player sounds great and is also very dynamic. Only the bass could have been tighter. I will wait for sacd.

Submitted by Alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Finally! I have had the hardest time trying to get my system to sound the way that I wanted it to. I could not tell what the weakest link was. I had it in my head that it was the cd player. I had a Cal Delta that I was using through a Meridian DAC that sounded descent, but not what I was looking for. I tried a Meridian 596 DVD player, I was seriously disappointed! It is a DVD player, it does not do cd's well! Then came the 506. Presto, problem solved. Soundstage, imaging, detail, air, and a dash of warmth. What a sensational unit. I can finally sit down and listen to the music rather than sit around and try to analyze and critic what I don't like about it. Everything sounds nice. I have resurrected albums that I pushed off as being a "bad recording". I am still amazed about the amount of dimension that the unit puts out. The soundstage goes way beyond my speakers and I am able to hear the location of all the instruments. Details that I have not heard in the previous players come to life. I have achieved musical nirvana! (For now!)

Submitted by Orgazmo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is one beautiful player, smooth and detailed. Airy highs, tight bass, a lot of detail overall. I haven't had a whole lot of different experiences with players in my own system but I have listened to a good deal of different players at various dealers and I can honestly say I have never enjoyed listening to a player this much before. Closest competitor was the ROTEL RCD-1070 I had beforehand. The Meridian has more detail and better soundstaging and separation than the Rotel. Separation and spacing and pacing are all top notch on the Meridian. The only little downsides to me are that it is a little too polite for Rap and Heavy metal, and it seems to get some kind of electromagnetic interference from tv's, mine malfunctions when to close to one. Other than that it is a top notch player and is a definite steal if you buy it used. I got mine in beautiful "like new" condition on Audiogon.

Purchased At:   Used on Audiogon