Meridian 500 CD Players

4.2/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $2195.00

500 Digital outputs: Ultra-low jitter and 20ppm clock accuracy. One each of: coax SPDIF, high-speed EIAJ optical, AES/EBU on XLR.

Submitted by gmood1 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well this is one oldie but goodie.I took this transport and ran it into my Quad 99 CD-P.All the while I'am thinking it might make a little difference .I was dead wrong because it made a whole hell of alot difference .The Quad is being used as a Preamp and a 24/192 upsampling Dac. The digital cable is a silver serpent.The sound is amazing.I don't know what problems the other guys had but this is a killer transport on the used market.Maybe it's the combination with the Quad dac.It is detailed yet smooth it just makes me want to listen even more.The strings are so vivid and open it's simply jaw dropping.The transport in the 99 cd-p is very good but this thing is great.Maybe not fair to compare a 14 lb transport to one that weighs less than a pound.The bass is tight and clean,there's no tubbiness at all.There is no analytical sound just tuneful.I have to give it to the guys at Quad for making such a versatile CD-P and to Meridian because they just don't build them like this anymore.If you have a upsampling dac or good cd-p that can be used as one,I suggest anyone give it a try.These two peices will compete against some of the top cdps in the world and you can save some money.It sounds like I'am playing records instead of cds. I guess when these came out there was no such thing as upsampling.What a magical combination!

Submitted by Fred a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Please bear with me, all of this will eventually lead to the Meridian 500:

I have been listening to and enjoying an Arcam CD23 for several months now. Recently I purchased a JOB (A Goldmund affiliate) DA48 dac for $500 (new) to see if the Goldmund magic could improve on the already impressive sound from the Arcam's internal ring dac.

Well it was a definite improvement, well worth the $500. Goldmund has always been right at the top of the digital heap in my opinion, the only issue up to now being price. JOB now has a line of very reasonably priced stuff that uses all of the same circuitry as the Goldmund at a much lower price. Check out www.jobsys.com.

So I figured I could probably improve on the Arcam transport for what I could get for the Arcam used. I borrowed a Meridian 500 that was on demo sale for $995 from a local dealer and figured even if it sounded only as good as the transport in the Arcam I would keep it.

The result was that the Arcam transport sounds much better than the dedicated Meridian transport. These two pieces are about the same in price, and I can't imagine picking the Meridian over the Arcam. With the JOB dac, the Meridian sounded good but lacked the ultimate resolution that transforms a listening session into an emotional experience. Both at the top and the bottom frequencies the Arcam transport resolved details that are essential to really feel the artists' skills in a way that the Meridian missed.

The CD23 has such a great dac built-in that you can use it for a long time before thinking of getting a dac, and when you do, a JOB DA48 will only set you back $500.

I didn't have the 500 long enough to address the issue of reliability discussed by previous reviewers. But the 500 is a beautiful piece to look at. Too bad it doesn't sound as good as it looks.

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
The 500 uses the same transport mechanism as my 508.20 did. I had to send this unit back three times due to skipping tracks, and the player getting into a repeat loop. On the third try Meridian upgraded the unit to the 508.24, which uses an upgraded transport as well as the 24 bit dacs. I haven't had trouble since. I currently use my 508.24 as a transport with a Meridian 561 pre/pro. My Sony 7700 DVD player, used as a CD transport, has a subjectively firmer sounding bass, but the Meridian is much richer, detailed, and fuller sounding across the board.

Submitted by Paul a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had the 500 for 4 or 5 years now. It's the second generation with the ASE/EBU output and straight tracking laser. The laser assembly and some internal chip have been upgraded to fix on going problems. Used with a 518 and 566.24 it's one hell of a front end. Hard to pin down what roll the 500 plays, but the fact the combo works so well means the 500 can't be too bad. Base is extended with real impact, mids smooth and the tops just a tad on the bright side. Will give 4 out of 5 overall, but only 1 for value. I can't forgive any product at this price point which has had to go back to the dealer five times.

Associated equipment. ARC LS7, Kimber KCAG inter-connects, Kimber 4TC & 8TC, Shahinian Hawks, Dynavector HX1.2 power-amp, BDR No4 cones under all components, and headers of Hawks, Canare balanced digital interconnects.

Submitted by Holly WL Au a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
Due to budget purpose, I have chosen the Meridian 500 instead of the ML-37 to drive the ML-360 D/A. Although it is not as detail as the ML-37 and a bit softer, it is still a best buy at it's price. A typical British sound for long listening and quite musical. One point is that the remote provided is not equipped with the feature to open and close the transport drawer which is less convenient to users.

500 Million Connected Devices in U.S. Homes

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.homemediamagazine.com/files/homemediamagazine/nodes/2013/29912/NPDgroup.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] There are now more than half a billion devices in U.S. homes connected to the Internet delivering entertainment and apps, according to new data from The NPD Group. Increases in tablet ... Read More »

Stanton carts and 78s... 500 or 680ee? And which stylus?

I spin a few 78s now and then and currently have an Ortofon om78 stylus to play them. But I seem to always see Stantons talked about as ideal for 78s and rummaging around I realized I had an old gold 500 body and a 680ee. I am considering using one of those instead for 78s but not sure which would ... Read More »

After 4.5 years, I Finally refoamed my Pioneer HPM-500's

Yep, I finally got around to refoaming my HPM-500's, and boy do they sound nice. Very critical speaker with smooth transients and no fatigue. Quite pleasant to listen to without being over-bearing or harsh. I like the graphite series HPM's very much. :yesnod: [IMG]http://i266.photobucket.com/album ... Read More »

Favorite standmount speaker under $2,500

My next step up will be speakers. I have decided that I would stick with stand mount speakers. I like the OML1's over the RS6's due to less interference from the cabinets. I believe any speaker under $4-5,000 should be a standmount. I enjoy on some music the extra bass of the floorstander but the lo ... Read More »

HiFiMan HE-500 Vs Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2

Just curious if any of our members (Happy Camper perhaps?) have experience with the HiFiMan HE-500 & Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2 headphones. I'm really interested in how they compare to each other and also how they compare to the AKG K701.Read More »

SFLAT: