McIntosh MCD7009 CD Players

Submitted by braxus a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
I had the chance to listen to the player today. Im like wow! This is definately a very "analog" sounding CD player as other suggest. It comes close to sounding like SACD discs. It has really good timing of notes, and voice presentation is excellent. The voices sound very natural like they are in the room. I can hear the decay of strings while guitars are playing. The high end is smooth smooth smooth. No edgy sound I typically hear with CD music. The high end may very slightly be rolled off giving a more natural sound and more presentation to the midrange where it counts. If I can hear all this on my lowly system, I wonder how the player would really perform on an optimum system. Dynamics aren't quite as punchy as I've noticed, but it could be the amp Im running and not the CD player. The natural-ness of the sound is what this player does well. I guess this is what makes a Mac a Mac. Since the technology in this player is from 1995, being 16 years ago, Im really interested in hearing what todays Macs can do with digital music. I may just have to save some pennies and get that 301 SACD player everyone raves about. I dont expect that time will be anytime soon or even next year. Im really wondering now how that D/A converter in that Rotel tuner will sound compared to this. Its new tech, but somehow I don't think it will quite compare.

Submitted by masterburmester a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
This CD player is amazing. I've been a firm believer in turntables and only use CDs when I'm not in serious listening mood but ever since I've changed to the mcd7009 player, I've begun to listen to my CDs more!

This player has a vinyl like quality to the music it produces. Piano passages no longer sound bright but now it just sounds right in it's timbre character and tonal nature. Details from CDs are well retrieved and presented in a natural presentation with good tight bass and vocal warmth. Mcintosh produces fine equipment and this cd player is on par with their highly priced transport and DAC combo (the Mac1000 transport and DAC combo) or the Linn Sondek. Get this cd player if you can as it will be the last cd player you will ever need to enjoy/immerse yourself in emotional aspects of each musical presentation.

I've owned many hi-end cd players from Mark Levinson, Wadia, Meridian (506.24 and 588), Electrocompaniet, Krell but none can match the mcintosh in it's natural and emotional presentation of music. Build quality is first class. (hey its a Mc!)

Purchased At:   Mac Dealer

Submitted by ccwenk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went with the GIGO (garbage in->garbage out) method of purchasing equipment. I am starting from scratch, and am putting together a system that I want to sound great for both stereo and HT. After purchasing my other components, I was looking at several CD players in the $500-$800 range. One shop I went into had a 7009 on their used rack, and I had them set it up with equipment comparable to mine. I A-B'd it with each of the CD players mentioned below. The Mac blew some of them away, but was noticably more detailed and less harsh on the high end than all of them. Needless to say, I am now playing a Hi-Fi CD player through my decidedly mid-fi system and it sounds great. Of course, it sounded better through the all Mac system I listened to in the store after deciding to buy it. This will definitely not be my last Mac purchase.

My System:
Realistic LAB-2000

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Gerd Hillesheim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
The MCD7009 is the best CD-Player that i ever had.

Submitted by Peter Schwafferts a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Absolutely high end finished, built for a very long use.

The MCD 7009 is an audiophile CD with extremly low distortion and a deep and full "analog-sound" (a mixture of Wadia and Spectral).

Don't applause the few people who assert that in general McIntosh's sound is artificial (without any proof). You shold give an own expert opinion on the Mc-sound, especially on the MCD 7009. Its sound is very neutral and clear with a wide frequency range.

The innate rightness and truthfulness of the MCD 7009 come to the listener as a unity; the 7009 is accurate in the real sense of having the warmth, beauty, purity and clarity, the coherence and tonal reality of live music with a very deep and wide stereopanorama.

You have to pay from USD 1750 up to 2500,00 for a used one (the same as the MCD 7010; in very good condition). You should use it with McIntosh-equipment.

Purchased At:   Hifi Thelen