Mark Levinson No. 39 CD Players

4.44/5 (39 Reviews) MSRP : $5995.00

20 bit D/A converter

Submitted by Eli a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2012

Bottom Line:
Upgraded 390S, excellent CD/DAC player with volume control, you hear every detail, wide & deep soundstage, analog sound. I agree with all the good reviews mentioned on this site so I am not going to repeat what has already been said, if you want the best CD player check out the 390S.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by christefan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased a 390s used from another Audiogon member, downsizing my system from a Levinson 31.5 reference transport and a Levinson 30.5 DAC which are now "legacy" products that can be serviced by Levinson but my concept of upgrading the DAC to 30.6 level (their highest performing DAC capable of 96K input) is no longer possible. Its performance was good initially with some gains in ambience retrieval when connected directly to Levinson 33h amplifiers, but the soundstage was rather small, dynamics were lacking, the sound had a “Levinson” coloration to it (precise, on the dark side) and I was missing the reference character, very balanced presentation of the music from deep bass to high treble, that I had with the previous two units as a cd playback system. Since I was intent on keeping the unit and sticking with my plan for a more abbreviated but well performing system, I decided to take a chance and have the unit modified by The Upgrade Company which I found listed among other ads on the Audiogon web site.

The transformation they achieved with the unit is nothing short of stunning. It now offers a large well defined soundstage with excellent presentation of instruments in the soundstage and the accompanying detail and “air” one would hope for. The dynamics of the unit are so great that orchestra crescendos have a shock and impact very representative of live performances. While the basic character of the unit seems to be preserved (its clean, clear, well balanced rhythmically precise nature) the sound has been improved in all the ranges from deep bass, which is solider and better defined, through a natural in timber balanced midrange to a precise extended high end lacking in any brittleness or harshness. The improvement in the unit is so large and consistent in performance that the clichéd phrase “you’ll be hearing new things in the music you are most familiar with” maybe overused but is so true that in this case it has to be stated. Stereophile in a review rated the 390s as basically a “Class A” playback system that the only fault found in the unit was its inability to handle anything over a 48k sampling rate, I’m not sure I would call the stock unit a Class A product (at its price point Levinson gave up a lot of high end parts that you do find in their top of the line equipment) but I would easily say the modified unit is on a level with the BEST cd playback systems made from any manufacturer

Purchased At:   Audiogon-USED

Submitted by Amir a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
In one word is 'Analog sound from one digital player'.
I think for 16 bit digital this is end of resolution and transparency.
I listened it with wilson speakers and patus amplifier.
amplifier for this test was not good but player ability in producing music with superior transparency was evident. it's focus and image was the best i heard and so smooth and free grain high was it's difference with all digital players.
about tonality it was so neutral in frequency range and if you use it's pre section to an organic power amp like krell with high resulution speaker like dynaudio, sound is on dream side. i love this player for it's long listenning session. no fatigue during long listenning and very easy on ear. about bad recorded music there is no expect for making good music and you just listen to truth. bass had definition and was extended with bloom. mid was excellent with low coloration. high was smooth and integrated.
about player weakness i couldnot detect any problem but many prefer SACD for it's better resolution and in comparison with krell SACD when krell play SACD disk you hear more information.
for CD playback levinson is a bragin but keep in mind you need highend amp and speaker to match it.

Purchased At:   iran

Submitted by Jörg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought a pre-owned 390s (burned in!)with the option to give it back if I am
not fully satisfied. After many years of
reading tests (even at this place) I was
really nervous how it would sound in my
system. What a disappointment ! It just
plays the disc you put in-nothing else.
No musicality. One of the most boring
players ever heard.
Sorry, but this is what I have heard.
I had a swinging system before:
Wadia 850i, Mark Levinson 23.5, Infinity
Kappa Renaissance 90, Ortofon Cables.
With the 390s it was dead.
Now I am looking forward upgrading my
Wadia.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by bogron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 390s, after having used a Proceed combination for about 3 years, and I could not believe the difference (after having to have the power supply changed - the player "died after 3 days). This is so much better and more natural sounding - it has the ML signature sound - a little dark, but throws a wide soundstage and really reproduces instruments close to the sound of the originals - I thought there was something very wrong when playing a live Weather Report recording, until I realized I was hearing Zawinul's analog synths being portrayed in a realistic manner - A great machine, and it has really made me start buying records again.

Premier Mounts: