Marantz SA-11S1 CD Players

• Over-Sized Troidal Transformer
  • Tripple HDAM s/channel Construction

Submitted by beazly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Bottom Line:

First, let me clear the air.

If you get this player, and your sound is bad, it's NOT the Marantz, sorry.

This baby is so sweet, "Bad" is a word that can't Truthfully be found
ANYWHERE in the Performance of this player.

Perhaps, your other equipment, does not match up.

I have the SA-11S2 with the Level-2 Mod.

Out of the box, cold, this player exceeded my previous setup, which was
to my wife, "the best " she said she "ever heard"

Given, my wife is not an Audio lover in the least bit, makes this next statement all the
more incredible.

It was my wife, that actually called Walter and ordered my player, to my complete

How is that for spousal Audio support? (clever girl!)

Surprise! I was floored, I am still in Shock!

Simply Put:

This player is Built like the Battleship Mo. with an artful touch that is beautiful to me eyes.

I only mention this, as typically I go for "Performance" over looks, so I really scored here.

It just does everything Better than Any other player in "my" system.

Since that is ALL that really matters to me.

We ALL hear very different, music is a very Personal experience.

So like the clothes we wear, our Audio tells much about who we are.

But when my wife stops what she is doing, comes in and sits down to listen,

and exclaims "Boy, it is Better, than ever!" after years of listening, and never saying

barely anything.

I have to take notice,since all these years, and she rarely says anything about Audio.

This player is something very special, no doubt about it.

I have heard so many players, and they All are fantastic players, but

only one can be that "Perfect" Match to your system.

With my PS AUDIO GCA amps. and PCA-2 &HCPS and the

Best PS Audio Perfect wave power cords, and XLR's cords used.

I could not Dream of better Synergy between everything.
This is the Definition of "Synergy" no doubt.

I Always dreamed of owning a "Perfect" Source, if there is such a thing.

For me, it is this Marantz!

Dreams Do Come True!

Mine Has!

Saul, I know you would be proud.

Players heard:

I know I am!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by casablanca1969 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2008

Bottom Line:
This CD/SACD player is, when comparing dollar to dollar, could hardly find a competitor at this pricing.
It sounds detail, lively and with good bass presentation. For SACD the sound feels more smoother.

Purchased At:   Singapore

Submitted by jygeqq a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is one unbelievable cd, sacd player. It upgraded my system from good to outstanding., just by changing the source. Sound on redbook cd is amazing: bass is deaper, highs are clearer, sound state is wide and accurate. As good as cd soound,is SACD is at another level even higher.! I always thought my system was good, but it missed something and Sa11 provided it. Music comes to life, but in a natural sounding way. It sounds like music.

My System : Acurus A250/ Yamaha cx2. Yamaha px-3 with grace f9e. Yamaha tx950
Infinity Reference Standard II .

Purchased At:   advanced audio Cary

Submitted by cliff a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
Maybe one the Worst CD players I have ever owned..and I have owned some of the best.( Wadia, Sony SCD-1, Arcam 23, Linn Karick).. Has no focus..No depth ..and worst of all..Muddy..!!! Playing thru custom Horn rig, Krell Pam-1 preamp and Accuphase mono Amps...What disappointment..!!! Had Marantz CD23 which was much better than this..I don't get it ..!!! There is nothing to rave about here...Switched over to Goldmund Dac thru Old Marantz DV-8300 transport...And what an improvement..!!!!....Please reconsider before making this purchase...Give a listen if you can.....You maybe sorry..!!!!!!!

Submitted by mmeysarosh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I had been going through a series of upgrades on my two channel system as I had been not so keen on the musical performance of my system. I had been using an Arcam CD72 as my CD source and had always felt it was becoming and anchor to my system.

First listened to an Arcam CD33 and had that old phrase pop in my head “You only get a fractional improvement of sound for the multiples of dollars spent”. It was only marginally better then CD72, unconvincing of the cost of upgrade. The dealer had then placed the Musical Fidelity A5 in the system and I was quickly impressed by the player and felt that it had brought enough to the table to consider cost. The dealer also had the Cary CD303/200 in the room, which in itself proved to be quite competent, but had a different perspective over the MF. The Cary had a stronger dynamic range, while the MF provided some more midrange prominence. If I had spent a bit more time, it would have been fun picking out the difference in presentations of these two very good players.

The Marantz came out last, but had become my first choice. Bass was deep and taut, horns sound that fully rounded out, with highs coming in clearly with better dimension. Cymbals and high hats had gone from being in the mix to being there.

The fact this it was balanced made my decision easier as my Pass Labs amp and preamp would allow me to get the best of the balanced outputs.

Wood Technology: