Marantz CD5400 CD Players

• Pitch Control
  • Optical & Coaxial Digital Outputs

Submitted by pavan113001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
Best cd player in its class. Match perfectly with Marantz Amplifier and Receiver to provide optimum sound.

Strengths:
Solid Build Quality.
Excellent value for money.
Sounds engaging, even at low volume.
Headphone with number of features which is very usefull.

Weaknesses:
None at this price.

Submitted by ragster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
There have been some frankly shocking reviews on this product that thankfully I didn't read before buying. If I had, I may not have considered the CD5400, which would have been a minor disaster, because I really like this CD player and think that it deserves better. I would suggest that anyone into so-called 'top-flight' hi-fi should go and spend £500, £1000 or even £10,000 on a CD player if that's what floats their boat. Lets not compare apples with oranges here.
I got the Marantz CD5400 to replace a similarly priced Technics SL-PG490 that I bought 7-odd years ago, after comparing against a couple of others, a Marantz included (CD63 or something like that). I believe that the CD5400 beats the Technics for clarity of sound. I also believe that the transport is LESS NOISY than the Technics. It also looks to be equally as well built and attractive (I have the black version - don't like gold much), but this is very much personal choice, of course. I preferred the look to ALL the Cambridge Audio players, which to my mind look like cheap Arcam impersonators nowadays.
The Marantz has a look that impresses and a sound to match. I have tried it with techno, acoustic guitar, rock, classical and ambient music. It sounds great with all of them. I think that it lifts any detail out very nicely and renders the sound in a lively manner where it exists. There don't appear to be any 'dull' spots in the frequency response, which seems pretty uniform to me and I have heard the odd thing, like Nick Drake putting his guitar down after a song that I hadn't noticed before. Also worth noting is the fact that a couple of CDs that refused to play in the Technics have worked in the CD5400.
I think that all in all it is a nice sounding player that doesn't require turning up loud in order to be sonically exciting. I had read elsewhere that high freqs were especially well featured but I would myself add that the bottom end is very tight and punchy and that I didn't notice anything lacking in the mid-range either.
Any musicians/DJs might be interested by the +/-12% pitch control. I mucked around with it a bit but am not convinced of it's usefulness. I've heard that if you want to jam along with a CD and you can't be bothered to retune your instrument or you prefer to sing in a different pitch range you can tune the CD to it instead(?)
This is one of the features that is only accessible via the remote control, which leaves the player itself uncluttered in that minimalist way that we all seem to love right now.
Often there is talk about CD players that don't sound very 'natural' and have an artificial or synthetic sound. I suspect that this is often due to inferior recording processes or even sound sources, during the production of the CD that have been uncovered by said machine. Listen to a variety of favourite CDs on the player and this will tell you more about it than any audio reviewer can. Take that same CD selection around and play it on every player you're considering buying. I would recommend the Marantz be included within that sample group if it's within your budget. Ideally, take all the players home, audition them through your amp and speakers and then take back all the players you don't like.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds (UK -

Submitted by mattburk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
Hard to beat for the money. I owned a rotel rcd1072 before this, and although it had a quiter back ground I found it not to be worth the money. The 5400 is a great player with better features and remote than the rotel.
You have to spend alot more to notice a substantial difference over this player.
It is loved in europe & I forget what magazine but it was rated a best buy.

Purchased At:   definitive audio bel

Submitted by Long a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
(Please note that the price is in Hong Kong dollar)
The transport is noisy. It gives an anonying sound when playing in a quiet environment.
Warmer sound than a Philips DVD player. But improvement is not impressive.
Not recommended.

Submitted by gravystew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
Just spent 2 weeks with the CD 5400. Took it back to the shop because it just didn't live up to my expectations. First of all, the transport was very noisy. Spinning disc sounds invaded quiet space in my music. Overall the sound had a relaxed quality to it. I liked that. But something about it caused my ears to hurt after about an hour of listening. While the unit seemed to get more listenable after about 10 days of play, it still didn't get to be easy to listen to. Too bad. I really wanted to like this product. Sad truth is that it sounded worse than my $99 Pioneer versatile disc player --going analog out into my AMC integrated amp.

Purchased At:   cambridge

Speaker & Amp for Marantz CD5400

Hello all I've had a cobbled together set-up for a good few years, that currently comprises of; Marantz CD5400 Sony TA-F448E Mordaunt-Short 10i I'm sticking with the Marantz for now, but want to invest about £800 ($1,500) over an integrated amp and some larger floor standing speakers. I' ... Read More »

got my Marantz CD5400 today!

yay, finally i've got a CDP to give some life to my rig! just got it today, arrived in absolutly pristene condition, couldn't have looked better! i'll have some pics up soon, maybe a mini review after i get this thing all setteled in.:sleep: :5: :16: :6:Read More »

OK Explain this My JVC DVD Receiver sounds better than Marantz CD Player (CD5400)

I really would appreciate a good explanation for this, if nothing else this might save someone some money in the future. Yesterday, I went to an excellent High End Audio Store in LA called Shellys (for some reason there are about 5 or 6 big electronic stores in that area within walking distance of e ... Read More »

Premier Mounts: