Marantz CD-80 CD Players

4.77/5 (13 Reviews)

Multibit CD Player

Submitted by Frankly Roodfelt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2014

Bottom Line:
Had this for 10 years now. Two years ago, I added a REGA DAC, so the Marantz is now transport only. I've tried a few others but keep coming back to the Marantz. It squeaks briefly on start up but always plays the CD.

Submitted by audioneuroot a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I do own one already for almost 16 years.
Ive replace the opamps and the clock Tentlab). The sound is great for al kind of music

Purchased At:   ?

Submitted by warrenmmmmm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the CD-80 and was immediately impressed by its weighty and authoritative sound. Nevertheless it had none of the strengths of my vinyl system. In particular there was a rhythmicness in music which seemed to be missed by this CD player (maybe all CD players, I thought) About 3 years later I tried the CD-63 and was amazed at the tightness of rhythm and the increase in musicality, albeit at the expense of that authoritative weightiness for which the CD-80 was fantastic. I sold it and have not missed it

Submitted by bagger a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
best player ever

Purchased At:   philips

Submitted by Mark Groep a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Years ago I bought a new CD60 (I'll get to cd CD80 in a minute). I wanted a CD80 but couldn't afford it in my student days. In the last few years my CD60 started to skip more and more often on the first few tracks. I traced this down to a design problem with the CD drive cable connector NOT BEING GOLD-PLATED!!! and subject to movement from badly centered CD's!!!! (non-gold-plated contacts +humid wheather +contact movement +high frequency signals = TROUBLE). Repaired it several times, as I really liked the sound of the player. Three months ago I saw a mint CD80 on eBay. How could I resist? Got it for £140. Plays all my CD's without any problems at all! The cable is the same as in the CD60 but the PCB is now bolted onto the drive so the connector is totally free of movement, a BIG design improvement. It is hard to believe this CD80 is a ten year old player. I'm sure the (very expensive) latest high-end models sound "better", but I am not convinced they sound more, say, "musical". Rhythm and Pace was always a very strong point of the CD60. I once tried out variuous other players to replace my CD60, most of them bit-stream delta-sigma convertors. Some sounded more detailed but on Rhythm & Pace the CD60 beat all of them hands down, no comparison. I am glad to see the CD80 equals this with better detail in the sound to boot. The quality of engineering is quite unbelievable. Solid metal everywhere. A PSU fit for a heavy amplifier. If this player last for another ten years (it may do since I got it almost unused) then it's value for money cannot be beat!

Purchased At:   eBay