Marantz CD-73 CD Players

4.67/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

Submitted by mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have owned my Marantz cd-73 for 20 years....it still can play a cd cracked from center to edge!

Submitted by Darryl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
I purchased this player about 7 years ago at a flea market for $25, it did not go, as I was advised.
I recapped it ( power supply was the issue ), and presto life again !
I must say despite some simple specs on paper it does amazingly well.
The sound is equal to any I have listened to ( including my friends Cambridge )
I does only have fairly basic features by modern standards, but it does the job of playing disk's very well, even scratched ones ! , better than my others.
I found no lack of bass as one reviewer pointed out ( maybe his needs new caps ).
I would part with my Yamaha Sony and Technics players before the CD73.

Submitted by howie_gb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
Hello,

This was the first CD player I ever bought back in 1985. I only paid £200 for it as it was by then out of production and had been replaced by more ergonomically refined machines, but none were as well built, nor did they sound as good. The Marantz CD73 came complete with an expensive and well matched phono lead which I still use with it.

By modern standards this machine is primitive in operation, it can only search serially through CDs, it has no random access, nor does it have remote control unless used in conjunction with other contemporary Marantz hi-fi products. It has no digital display, instead it has a series of 15 leds which light up to indicate which track is playing - on track 16 all the lights come on and then its guesswork ! I think this is all part of its charm, besides at that time we were used to using turntables so the operation of this machine was perfectly acceptable.

When I first heard this machine I was bowled over by its soundstage and imagery, IMHO only matched by the most expensive turntables, but with the advantage that there were no clicks and pops to endure as one did when playing vinyl. Bass is deep and clear, midrange is superb and treble is very smooth and free from the occasional hardness of the Sony players of its time. I listened to music for many hours at a time and always felt relaxed.

I have upgraded my CD player a few times over the years, acquiring the next 'Best Buy' to come along but none sounded any better than the CD73, the only improvements were a bit more detail and much better ergonomics. I eventually acquired a Marantz CD63 Mk II KI Signature machine in 1996 and that I found superb in all respects and I haven't felt any need to upgrade further. I held on to the CD73 and continue to use it from time to time. It's only failed twice in 24 years, with power supply PCB problems, first time it just needed a few dry joints resoldered and the second time it needed new capacitors. The PSU is the CD73's weakest component as it tends to run rather hot but it's easy to access and simple to repair (DIY for < £10). Its CDM0 or CDM1 CD transports very rarely expire.

The CD73 is even now an excellent sounding CD player and its robust construction is rarely found in modern machines. It quite rightly has become a classic and nice examples fetch very good prices.

Howard

Submitted by Karel Sebastian Post a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
The CD73 is a classic!
The sound is fat, but transparant...
The sound is sweet, but beefy...
The sound is smooth, but powerrrrrfull!

The 14 Bit DAC and it's smooth analog circuitry make this beast a real pleasure to listen to.

I have compared the sound with many other players, but i can't say i heard any of them beat the sound of the CD73.

Purchased At:   Some guy in Holland

Submitted by vintageCDguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I hate to have to write a negative review about such a previously well-regarded vintage unit, But I wanted to warn people that I went through *hell* with THREE of these things in spring of 1984. I was 17, it was my first cd player, and it sold for $750. The first one I brought home from the store was almost DOA - could not read discs at all. Took it back the very next day. The second one worked fine for several days, then on half of my discs the sound started to become distorted during playback, and the player started emitting an audible whine sound that got progressively louder. The problem got worse the longer the player was in operation...so Back it went to the store for a third one. That one had the whine problem right away...at that point I was thoroughly disgusted and disolutioned with Marantz for selling such a piece of cr*p. The store kindly allowed me to exchange it for a Technics SL-P8, which has served me well ever since, and I've done nothing but change belts and re-lube it. Moral of the story (20 years hence)...if you are about to shell out more than $100 clams for what's claimed to be a "working" one of these on the vintage market, be careful or you could end up with a boat anchor. As a conversation piece, cause it does look cool, I wouldn't pay more than $30 even if it's marginally working. Good luck!

Purchased At:   AV Retailer, Vancouv