Marantz CD-67 MkII SE CD Players

4.3/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Highest Model 'Budget' Marantz

Submitted by Johnny Farm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
Is an excellent cd player in this range of price. I used them for about 4 years and i am very happy with the sound. Very Crisp and detail saound, ideal for classic music and jazz. Solid construccion and build quality. I give 5 starts.

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Belgarchi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
A big disappointment. This CD-Player is well built for the price, convenient... but it doesn't sound as good as I thought after reading all these reviews in English magazines.
It is moderately detailed, slightly harsh, lacks deep bass (upper bass are ok), and the soundstage is a mess (no depth, instruments not precisely located).
Average dynamic.
Well, to be honnest, I am used to more expensive CD-players, but I think that in the same price range, other players from NAD, for example, are better.
Way below Marantz CD-17-II.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by martin-ortiz@or-es.com a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
Great cd Player. Its very musical with clean and balance sound.
Good Looks and build quality.

Purchased At:   audiomarket

Submitted by Mark Elkington a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
When my 10 year Sony player died I was curious to hear what progress had been made in CDs. I'd come accept that CD was so far behand vinyl that it was really only for background music and the kids.

I auditioned a NAD C540, a Rotel RCD951, and the now discontinued 67SE. Having read a rave TAS review on the 951 I was prejudiced towards it, however listening to a jazz disk the 67SE was to my ear slightly more musical and convincing. All three players were a big improvement on my old Sony.

One reviewer here reported a similar comparison between a 67SE and RCD971 (951 big brother).

Someone else noted the 67SE's out-of-box sound as "a toy." Thanks for the tip-off - I would have returned it as faultly had I not known that! 24 hours burn-in fixed it.

Another reviewer noted that turning the volume down "mellows" the sound - I'd agree with that too.

[Meta-review comment: audioreview.com gets a good review from me on the basis of these specific and accurate reviews]

On uncomplicated jazz tracks this unit does a nice job with smoothness and placement. I've heard 3D depth on good disks that I never thought possible with CD. With more complex orchestral pieces it starts to lose it, though I suspect this is a limitation of the CD format itself.

In fact, at times the 67SE was sweet enough to have me wanting to believe it was catching up to LPs. Alas, a quick reality check by tossing an LP on to my old Linn/RB300/K9. To both my wife and I the vinyl was comfortably more natural, detailed and dimensional. But at least I can now sit and listen to CDs :-)

Have a look at http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cd67.html for tweaking info: I snipped the 4 output muting transistors (freebie tweak) and was pleasantly surprised to hear a small but noticeable opening up of the top end; cymbals had a shimmer to them that wasn't there before, and imaging was also improved. Now will I swap the op amps or fit a clock module?!

In short, a very pleasing budget player, excellent value for money.

Submitted by Litchao a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use this CD-Player for a year now. I am totally satisfied with the sound it present. When I first got this CD-Player and hooked it on. It sound like toy to me, but after I burn in for about 72 hours and started to listen my first CD Jewel. It suprise me, the music is very crisp and detail.
I recommand a good performace interconnector such as Synergy alpha silver or better because it really improve the sound a lot.