Marantz CD-63mkII CD Players

4.75/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Dual 1-bit bitstream converters, CDM-12 mechanism w/ 3 beam laser

Submitted by Doug a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a topgap, I was planning on keeping it for less than a week, the time it would take me to get hold of a NAD c520, after selling my CD/MD combo deck.

However, when I got it home, and tried it, I was extremly impressed, it is very sharp and has great depth. Linked to my Harmon Kardon PM665 and Eltax Symphony 6.2's, it is very warm, but never harsh. I have played all sorts of music, rock/metal/dance/trance/garage, through it, and I have yet to be disappointed by its sound.

Purchased At:   £30, second hand

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
First off, my system:

Marantz cd63 MKII
Rotel 970BX pre/power amp
Paradigm MiniMonitors

I just got the Rotel amps, and have finally had a chance to do some reasonably serious listening to this system. Overall, I am quite happy with it- Overall sound is somewhat warm, soundstage is quite nice considering the fact that I'm in a crappy room, and imaging is very nice. The cd63 provides a large amount of detail, even when coupled with the cheaper Paradigms.

I believe, however, that the MM's are somewhat unable to cope with the detail, as the highs on certain recordings are irritating and fatiguing. I do not fault the marantz, rather, I think that i have just made a mistake in system matching. I plan on getting some nice floorstanders this summer, and will try to pick something with a more relaxed tweeter. I have heard that using a separate DAC (MSB linc) could quell the shrill highs, but I probably won't look into that until I have purchased the speakers. Also, I have some Kimber 4vs wires in the mail, which should further help me make my decision.

Overall I do like this cd player, and it was WELL worth the $170 upgrade from my crappy sony cd changer.

Submitted by Paul Haynes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had my Marantz 63KII for nearly a year now, it's the Cd player I was saving for, so when I had the money to buy one i bought one just as the last news ones were being sold off due to model being discontinued. Worth the money i spend. No regrets.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds Plymouth

Submitted by Teo Seng Kim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm one of the rare few who have tried both the Mk2 and KI signature models, and I can tell you that the signature model is more hype than anything else. The premium you pay is totally unjustified. In a side-by-side comparison using a marantz PM 17 integrated and Epos 12 speakers after running in for a month, I couldn't tell the difference between the two players! As a further test, i asked a buddy to help conduct a blind listening test, and both us couldn't tell one player from the other! So unless others have golden ears that is beyond us mere mortals, I say just buy the cheaper model!

Of course, I sold my KI signature player a few months later, managed to get a good deal thanks to all the rave reviews in the magazines.

Having said that, I must comment that both players share similar characteristics, very musical and sweet. It has a good mid-range vocals, with well-extended bass. I agree that it is more than a match for some cd players costing up to $1000.

I'm still enjoying the sould of my marantz 63 mk2 after all these years, and highly recommend it. Go get yourself a second hand set (it's been discontinued), you won't regret it.

Submitted by Audio enthusiast a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have the KI-Signature of this player, bought new at the bargain basement (for Switzerland) price of CHF800 (that's about $US470 at current exchange rates). At this price it's an absolute giveaway, and at its full price it would still be a formidable contender. With my mainly classical collection (emphasis on baroque choral), it performs wonderfully well, giving a warm, detailed sound. Thankfully, unlike the gent in a previous review, the headphone output IS regulable in this model. Highly recommended.

Wood Technology: