Marantz CD-63 K.I. Signiture CD Players

4.16/5 (51 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Submitted by Jarvis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2016

Bottom Line:
Bought the CD-63mkII KI Signature used about a year ago for €200 supposely in mint condition just to try it because of the hype around it etc. It arrived poorly packed and looking like a piece of sh** compared to my other equipment, scratched - almost abused. Plugged it in and let it play in repeat mode my reference Daft Punk CD for a couple of hours. Came back to listen. WTF!!! Sounded like a dream! My interconnects and speaker cables cost 4-5 times what I paid for it. This is a fantastic sounding cd player that can make any high end system shine. Don't be fooled by comments that say it's good for the money, etc. it's very very good for any money! Smooth and dynamic, dark and bright when it needs too. I have spent gazillions in high end cd players that do indeed sound very good, but the CD-63mkII KI costs peanuts and 9/10 comparissons sounds better. Period.

Submitted by howie_gb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought my Marantz CD63 KI back in 1996 complete with the matching Marantz PM66 KI amplifier and have never felt the need to upgrade since. Connected up to my 1983 Rogers LS7 loudspeakers, it delivers a big soundstage with decent depth, pinpoint imagery and no harshness in its superb sound quality. Clearly a CD player which is greater than the sum of its parts. Brill !

Strengths:
Decent build quality and superb sound quality.

Weaknesses:
At this price, none whatsoever

Similar Products Used:
Several Marantz and Rotel 965BX CD players and Pioneer A400 amp.

Submitted by charisma a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I,m using the 63 ki for many years now,and it is a very fine machine,if it is matched in the right setup. I understand all the conns I,m reading here,But it needs a system that is much better then the pricerange of the marantz itself. I am using it in a system of more than 10 times its pricerange,including tube amplifiers an Apogee ribbons,and it brings music out of the cds. I have used many other other players in the system(even sacd player),but grabbed back many times for the marantz. In this system it brings a naturalness wich is better then the others,dispite of lesser resolution,but good dynamics and transparant soundstage. Voices and instruments have a real shine and picture very well. The sacd has better resolution,but lacks musicality the marantz does. I,m still very happy with it,and for its price,there is no other contender in my setup.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Gary Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Bottom Line:
there are of course many setups, and many different types of preferences for sound, or what constitutes hi-fi. I am also a vinyl fan, but i guess you simply must have a cd player due to the larger selection of new music available.

my setup includes nordost cabling (fast, and very transparent), cyrus III+PSX-R and Ruark Talisman II floorstanders. To me, hardware is great, but always secondary to the music. As long as the music is good to your ears, you can forget the technology behind it.

In short, whatever the hype, or magazine reviews,
the 63KI works for me big time. It's very detailed, yet smooth, and very transparent. Bass is a bit light, but pacy. Where this player really shines for me is vocal and acoustic instruments.

Purchased At:   2003

Submitted by spandel01 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I WAS A FRUSTRATED VICTIM OF THE HI-FI WORLD BECAUSE I FOUND THAT BEER MONEY COULD NOT BUY CHAMPAGNE.THEN I FOUND THE CD63MKII KI.THE STARKNESS OF THE SOUND TURNS TO AN INCREDIBLE RICHNESS OF DETAIL WHEN PAIRED WITH A WARM AMP AN CABLES.IN MY CASE AN ARCAM ALPHA 7 AMP,AUDIOQUEST MIDNIGHT CABLES[AUDIOQUEST RUBY 1*INTERCONNECT,RUBY2 INTRODUCED LISTENER FATIGUE] AND RUARK TEMPLAR LOUDSPEAKERS.THESE WORK IN PERFECT HARMONY.WHEN FUNDS BECOME AVAILABLE AN ARCAM ALPHA 9 POWER AMP WILL BE ADDED FOR EXTRA PACE.HAVING FRIENDS IN A HI FI BUSINESS HELPS THE "TRYOUT" SESSIONS THAT ARE SO NECCESSARY IN THIS HOBBY.HAVING TRIED MANY BRANDS IN MANY DIFFERENT COMBINATIONS NONE HAVE HAD THE IMPACT THAT THE CD63MK11KI HAS GIVEN MY SYSTEM.TRUE HI FI HEAVEN HAS BEEN ATTAINED THROUGH THIS TRULY REMARKABLE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.

Purchased At:   GESSNER AUDIO