Marantz CD-5000 CD Players

4.13/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $249.00

Submitted by Katjsaboelie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
Never read so much bollocks in my life ,well here is some more

Of course built quality is less en when you open the black box there is more empty space than in Siberia.
BUT this one has the magical TDA 1549 DAC from Philips. (Actually the player is 100% the Philips cd 753 in a different casing).
It is simply one of the best sounding players out there !!!! (leave the one of, and i'm not lying)
Audio NIrvana class seal approved !!! (read Lampizator)
Grab it if you come along one of these !!!!!

Submitted by arnout a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review from the one I wrote in June 2, 2003.

The reason I write this is because when my brother entered my name and last name in Googles search box he came up with that ridiculous review.

Yes I was new to the internet and was eager to write something about my new cd player...

I still own this cd player and am satisfied with it, though some thing I have written are bollocks:

1. "But my experience is that treble-rounded players put more an emphasis on agressive tones than more revealing players: revealing players integrate a harsh tone better, the result being more liquid,treble rounded players translate a brash sound to a fixed rounded point wich in my experience atracts more attention."

How could I possibly claim this? What a load of crap!
It's a true fact that there are smoother cd players out there, though not for the money I had spend.

2. "Maybe there is one slight complaint: the upper midd's are a tiny bit too bright(does every singer smoke Gauloises?), but that problem is solved by Wireworld oasisIII interconnects ($70)"

A true lie.
Those Wireworld interconnects didn't do anything else than just look nice.
Yes the upper midds were definitely too bright with some recordings.
When my old Pioneer SA 7500 died I bought a new amp, a Marantz pM7200 and things dramatically improved.
Though music still isn't always grain-free and I wonder if there's a system that is.
Some cd's are simply recorded and mastered that way

Other things I wrote are still valid: the error-correction is impecable, not a single time did a cd skip or did it read: "no disc"
And the relatively "weak" bass is still a plus in my opinion, it complements the PM7200's beefy bass well. Never ponderous or slow.

But enough of this.
Luckily I never got infected with the upgraditis virus, I simply enjoy listening to music, that's it, I'm not searching for the ultimate system.

Submitted by jorgillo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
good CD PLAYER WITH A EXCELENT SOUNDSTAGE AND GOOD STEREO SEPARATION ,IF YOU LIKE JAZZ OR VOCAL MUSIC THIS IS FOR YOU, BECAUSE HAS A GREAT CLARITY WITH VOICES AND ACOUSTIC INSTRUMENTS, IN THE OTHER HAND IF YOU PREFER ROCK OR HEAVY ,THIS CD IS TOO SMOOTH AND LACKS OF EXCIMENT.

Purchased At:   MARANTZ dealer in We

Submitted by arnout a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
My old kenwood cd-player began skipping and send messages from hell:"NO DISC".
I loved watching myself,throwing the damn thing on the ground,laughing maniacally.
So,I was in search of a player that is dependable (a good error-correction),not so much a better sound(wich was oke)
I had a choice between marantz cd5000,NAD c520,yamaha cdx 496 and the Denon dcd 755.
I was on a tight budget and reviews I had read didn't really favour(overall seen) any of these particuarly.
I chose the marantz for it's looks and excellent error-correction(according to 'STEREOPLAY') I listened to it at Hobo-Hi fi,but found it not usefull,so I just bought it(room conditions,mood,atmosphere are different than mine)
At first I was dissapointed by the sound:thin bass,bright upper mid and less sweeter treble than my old kenwood. Depth,stereoimage and texture were(are) much better,so i gave it a try.
I was rewarded for my patience: the sound is absolutely gorgeous. Maybe the sound had to kick in;I have read about players that needed time to play in,but personally I think that's a load of crap,I intend to believe that it's more a matter of getting used to the sound.Goldfrapp's "lovely head" sounds, by using headphones,the same(when she sings "...do you reckognise the sssmell") as the first time I listened to it. But which cd-player does sound smooth with many pop-recordings? With classical music this marantz works really delightfull:texture,timbre,depth and well defined bass. With pop music it sounds just how cd's are recorded: marvelous with good recordings,awfull(exaggerated) with bad recordings. The relativetly thin bass works as a treat with most pop cd's,Radiohead's Ok computer doesn't sound overblown. Many times people comment that a small bass is best suited for classical, not pop. I think it's rather the other way around; pop is mostely overproduced,classical much more natural. What I really like about the sound is it's natural warmth. My old Kenwood sounded thicker,with an artificial warmth(as if a loudnes was already built in) instruments,voices everything was rounded, without any sens of texture.Listening through headphones this is very pleasing: a thick, closed soundstage, run it over the speakers and only pop works fine. The marantz sounds its best through speakers, especially classical music sounds involving compared with the kenwood,the midd's are very detailed and although the bass is not as big as the kenwoods, by many recordings it simply sounds bigger because of it's definition.Maybe there is one slight complaint: the upper midd's are a tiny bit too bright(does every singer smoke Gauloises?), but that problem is solved by Wireworld oasisIII interconnects ($70).

Purchased At:   hobo-hifi

Submitted by rudolph vermeer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
As a replacement for my Proceed CD player i bought the musical fidelity cd player a a 3.2

The sound is must more clearer and transparant

Purchased At:   june 2002