Marantz CD-17 K.I.Signature CD Players

4.06/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Submitted by Tim Field a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
I used this for over 2 years in my system. I did just do a big write up but lost it!

For me this was the greatest player ever, until I bought something better! It's one of those players that's one step up from a budget players of which I've owned many. That's where my praise stops. This is a product that many people moving from cheapo cd players will wow over. You can't fault the weight, looks and build quality. The remote is a work of art and pride of ownership is high.

So what's wrong with it? It's mediocre. Warm and fuzzy, with a poor stereo image, no slam at all. It's not bad by budget standards but up your price range to players like the Sony SCD777ES (considered an average cd player) and you get so much more! I stuck with this player for far too long, seduced by it's warm passable sound. In a really bright system I'm sure it'll tame that well but apart from that I have little good to say about it. Pure average all the way, not bad at anything and not good and for that it gets really low marks from me. Flat and lifeless.

So save up and get something really high end. Don't get stuck where I did with running mid-fi for too long!

Submitted by serge m a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
The first few weeks I bought this product I got the initial impression that it somehow sounded smallish and a restrained compared to the arcam alpha 7Se I had. But after a few more weeks of leaving it on and running-in, this player finally revealed its true character of being detailed, muscular but refined, having a very good depth and soundstaging. It dissects musical nuances with finesse that add up to the enjoyment of listening to this player. It is definitely not the last word in having qualities that make up a truly outstanding player but it lives up much to its claim of musical hi-fidelity. r

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi House

Submitted by Jochgem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
The first thing I expected when I plugged this CD-player in my Marantz PM 17 was a clear and bright sound. But none of this was true. Before this player I had a CD6000OSE. A bit electronically, but OK. The CD17 KI sounded very death, if you know what I mean. Absolutely no connection with musical experience. A shame, but true. Now I have a "normal" CD6000 with excellent new parts. New caps and a better power source. This player is ten times better then a Standard CD17 KI.

Submitted by Richard Phillabaum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I listened to several CD players before buying the CD17. It was the best sounding CD player I had heard regardless of the price.

Purchased At:   Sound Lab

Submitted by mtcane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this CD player (500 pounds sterling) as an upgrade to a Musical Fidelity X-RAY. I am very pleased with the results. Timing is fantastic, the music I play sounds richer (the X-RAY is a touch clinical) and the bass is powerful and extended. Detailing is very good, so overall I believe I have upgraded significantly.

I also think although I am saying this player is great, it may easily give unconsistent results in other systems. My own system consists of Musical Fidelity X-P100 Pre-Amp, Musical Fidelity X-AS100 Power Amp, Dynaudio Contour 1.1 speakers with Kimber 8TC speaker cable and Van den Hul D102mkIII interconnects.

TARA LABS: