Marantz CD-16 CD Players

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by elovelo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this player in 1997 used and I was a bit concerned about its durability... It's now 2003 and after using it 4 hours a day, it’s never failed. This machine is unbreakable. The chassis is covered in copper, and the laser is mounted on an arm instead of a sliding mount, making the search time very short -almost instant.
The sound is a warm vinyl-like reproduction, and nothing sounds bad. You don’t get razor-sharp detailing and the bass is not the most robust and dynamic, but just like the tube amps it plays music…

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Morten Gammelgaard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
The CD16 to me is an amasing player. I have listened and owened much more expencive players, but I keep on coming back to this one. It might not be the most detailed of all players, but it is so nice and laied back to listen to. If music is what it is about.... Not a bad choice !

Purchased At:   HiFI Klubben Denmark

Submitted by Morten Bache a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just want to express my gratitude to this CD player. After I bought it some 4 years ago I haven't for one second considered 'upgrading' to another player, and if that's not a recommendation I don't know what is. It's the only hi-end CD player I have ever owned, and what captured me compared to many other expensive players was simple: musicality. It simply plays music so you don't think about lo-mid-hi-range, neutrality etc etc. and you can listen to it for hours and hours. I upgraded it after 2 months to a KI signature, made by the Dutch part of the factory, which gave the sound more calm and ease. I'm really surprised how many CDs at this level sound strained, like they try too hard not being there, but just deliver the music neutrally. They forget the musicality. This one doesn't. I know 5 stars for value rating is high for 1700$ player, but really I figure I should use twice this amount to get improvements. And I don't want to!

I use
TaraLabs speaker cables

Purchased At:   HiFi Klubben, Denmar

Submitted by Khurram Agha a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought it because it looked just great and also because i read reviews on music components in nearly all music magazines locally available like stereo review, hi fi choice and various buyers guides and figured that Marantz CD players were among the best available. However, this CD player did not impress me much.

Submitted by David Chan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2000

Bottom Line:
beautiful looks and wonderful sound. five stars no less. model is marantz 16D, with balanced output.

Purchased At:   Hong Kong