Marantz CC-38 CD Players

4.11/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

Submitted by edutainment23 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Purchased this player nearly 5 years ago and it still works wonderfully. Marantz has discontinued this product but Im sure someone who would like a good addition to a starter system could find a used version somewhere at a very resonable price.

Purchased At:   Main Street Audio

Submitted by Byron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
This player was fine for about a year then began to start skipping. I had cleaned the laser several times and blown dust out of the carousel but nothing seems to solve the problem. I have to assume that the laser is of poor quality. I will not buy another Marantz product as this unit is barely 2 years old.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
After hearing my friend's Marantz CD-63, I swore I'd never buy anything but Marantz CD players. This unit was my first real good quality CD player, which is why I didn't go with something more expensive. It is quite the step up from the Technics I was using prior to it.

I took the cover off this unit and the 5 disc Techincs changer and I then understood why the Marantz was twice the price. The parts in the Marantz are of better quality than the Technics. The PCB layout and the PCB itself are much neater and better thought out. The technics had little wire jumpers all over the board and I even noticed two trace errors. The Marantz had nothing of the sort.

Other reviewers complained about the remote but the only beef I have with it is that you can't search through a track with it.

One thing that Marantz does right and everyone else does wrong is track skipping. When you're in the middle of playing a track, track skip backwards takes you to the previous track, not the beginning of the song. To get to the beginning of the current song, you hit play again.

The sound quality of this unit is especially good. I didn't really notice that much of a difference until I put the Technics back in after a month of using the CC-38. I don't really know how to explain it much beyond calling the CC-38 much more musical than the Technics.

Submitted by Steve Vares a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
IVE HAD THIS PLAYER FOR ABOUT 3 HOURS NOW... SEEMS GREAT TO ME.. THE REMOTE IS SMALL BUT COOL AND LIGHT!
SOUNDS NICE!

Submitted by Andrew Kroehn a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
When my old Sony single CD player died after almost 10 years of use, I went out and bought this CD-Player without much thought - As far as I knew a cd-player was a cd-player, I knew Marantz was a top quality brand, and I didn't want to spend heaps of money. When I plugged it in though, I was amazed at how much better it sounded than my old sony (which was originally a low-range model anyway). The bass was much punchier, and I heard highs I never knew were on my CD's.
(make sure you use good quality interconnects too - this can make a discernable difference with this cd-player... don't use the one out of the box)

Award-Winning Axiom: