Jolida JD601A CD Players

4.25/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

Submitted by peterl69 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2012

Bottom Line:
The Jolida 601a is one of the very best sounding tubed CD player available at any price and easily bests almost all players in todays market and certainly bests the current Jolida models in quality of sound. This CD player is an avatar freak of nature of sorts. The construction is terrible with cheap sheet metal (although it has a reliable CD platter with exception of a rubber belt that wears out and is cheaply and easily replaced by owner). However, the heavens rolled the dice and took an old Intel processing chip and some funky parts and came up with an acoustic masterpiece that is the Jolida 601a.

Its sound is the near perfect balance of lush and detail, leaning toward the lush side. The slightly pronounced warm midrange makes singers and instrumentals sound twice as good as they are without obvious coloration. There is nice midbass bloom also and detailed yet delicate highs without a trace of harshness.

Very relaxing and fun to listen to. It avoids the dryness of the expensive Ayon CD players and the dull mushy output of Conrad Johnson CD players for a quality yet fun listening experience that should only come from players costing $3,000 (and rarely does).

Of course your system, synergy, and preference come into play. Although in my system the 601a bettered the Cary 308T, a friend of mine likes his Cary 308T (which is another freak of acoustic nature). The sound of the much better constructed Cary 308T is also lovely and just a touch more forward and detailed sounding than the Jolida 601a. More detail highs means a little less pronounced, although still wonderful sounding, midrange of course. However, he felt the Cary 308T and the Jolida 601a both bested his Cary 303/300 ($4,000 retail).

If you get to look inside the Jolida 601a by the way, the one with a dozen or so small black Japanese Chemicon capacitors populating the main board sounds much better than the earlier 601a with the cheap Chinese off label blue caps populating the main board. Do not use the smaller tube holding output board for this comparison.

Old Jolida 601a are hard to come by as people tend to keep them. But when they sell they usually sell cheap because the drawer might have stopped working (usually only needs a cheap easy to install by self belt, but not always), they don't have many reviews, look cheap, and people often buy into unearned pedigree, name, and appearance rather than trust their own ears.

If you can find one, even with a non working drawer, buy it. They sell at a bargain, and are woth so much more. My favorite tube in them is the Mullard 12AT7 (can replace the 12AX7 as is in tube output stage). The best Mullard 12AT7 by my ears has the old Logo and two little thin wing type plates with a single small square rectangle when looking at the broad side of the plates (instead of two like others), and does not have the three small holes on the edge of the plate which you can only see while looking at the edge. If you want an even lusher sound, an RCA black plate 12AT7 is a good option, however in my system, it made the Jolida sound a little too lush and lost a little too much detail with the RCA's in place.

Submitted by Jaeber a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Last year I discovered how great tube equipment sounds, and I have been replacing stuff in my system. Saw the Jolida JD601A in an ad and started doing the research on it, reading the reviews here and elsewhere. Decided to purchase as it was in excellent condition and not expensive. I am very, very happy with my decision. Using the info in the reviews here, I upgraded the power cord (hard-wired Asylum power cord), used sound-damping material inside the chassis and put Black Diamond racing cones underneath. Am using Electro-Harmonix 12AX7-EH tubes. The sound is beautiful, detailed, and both speed and pacing are great. There is a beauty and naturalness to the sound that I didn't experience with the Heart CD6000 and AH! Tjoeb 4000 that I auditioned. In my hearing, of course. The $300 used price and the low cost of tweaks have made this a great value. The Jolida JD601A has been described as the player that "looks cheesy (like a mass market player), but has blown audiophiles away." It is a great addition to my audio system.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Vincent a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bill Baker of Response Audio helped me get over my fears the Jolida's base response wouldn't measure up. I have a 603 on order from him. I can't wait.

I listened to a tweaked 601 hooked to my system (Bryston pre, B&K 4420 amp, Apogee Stand speakers.) I was running a Sony ES and felt my system could be best described as a very good stereo system. An AB test of the two cd players wasn't neccessary. the Jolida walked away a clear winner. the only place the Sony bested the Jolida was in coaxing the most out of my base panel. This Jolida still had its stock Chinese tubes.

Bill told me the Jolida's performance is dependent on peripherals and the tweaking might have contributed to the base problem, depending on what was done. He told me his experience with Jolida players has shown no weakness in the base. Thats good to know.

The B&K has been likened to as being tube like. I didn't know until with the Jolida - it certainly does. the owner of the Jolida uses all tubes in his system. he told me I was well under way having a great system and that if those were his amps he wouldn't change a thing.

I have to say, I've listened to a number of expensive high end systems and that mine is competitive with most and better than some using the Jolida. I can't wait for my 603 from Response Audio.

Purchased At:   Response Audio

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
My first tube CD player and I am VERY presently surprised. I bought this unit 2nd hand. Original owner had performed some basic mods: upgraded power cord, feet were place by Diamond racing cones, material used to dampen vibrartion. The sound is very nice-Armstrong/Sinatra/Ella it does voice very well. Classical pieces have been wonderful-I just feel in love w/"Peter and the Wolf" and the sound fills the living room. The string instruments from some bluegrass that I listen to sounds so real. All of the above is w/o the tube changes that are suggested below. I'm not generally a tube person but I'm thinking of tinkering. There have been reviews suggesting that the Jolida is a bit flimsy...I wouldn't know. I treat my equipment gingerly to begin w/thus never testing it's stress capacity. Bottom line: I think very highly of this CD player.

Associated equipment: Rotel RB980 amp, Rotel RC980 pre, Snell Model D speakers, Audio Magic Spectra IC, Audio Quest Type 6/Type 4 homemade bi-wire

Submitted by Steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Since my 10/13/99 summany on the JD601A cd player I've encountered a significant upgrade. As mentioned before, removing the stock Chinese tubes & replacing them with a non-Chinese pair are essential for good sound. My replacements were G.E. JAN 12AX7WA. The G.E.s removed coarseness from the sound & imparted a sense of ease. It also added a bit of sweetness. (I mostly listen to classical.)

But a new version of the 12AX7 has appeared on the market: the Sovtek 12AX7LPS ("LP" stands for "long plate"). What Hi-Fi? magazine raved about its sonic qualities. I therefore purchased a pair for my JD601A and was surprised with the improvement in sound. Soundstage is moderately wider & significantly deeper than with the G.E.s. There's also significantly more detail, yet the music is more relaxed and natural-sounding. Music is a touch less sweet & more neutral than with the G.E.s. Noise floor also seems to be lower. Using the Sovtek 12AX7LPS creates as big an improvement in sound quality over the G.E. JAN 12AX7WA as did the G.E.s did over the stock Chinese tubes.

I purchased a matched pair from TubeDepot.com for $26.79 (including shipping). But if you purchase elsewhere beware that one online dealer from the Chicago area sent me a pair of Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH, stating they were identical to the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. They are NOT the same tube. (This dealer also refused to give a full refund when I returned the Electro-Harmonix pair.)

Anyway, try the Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the JD601A. It's great!

(NOTE: There's also a "12AX7LP" version from Sovtek but it won't work in some ciurcuits. I don't know if it'll work in the JD601A. Get the 12AX7LPS version, not the 12AX7LP.)

(NOTE: I don't know how significant a role it played but when inserting tubes into my cd player or preamp I always dab the tubes' pins with a thin layer of Caig's ProGold to enhance the electrical connection. I got a small bottle from AudioAdvisor.com for about $17.00. But be sure to wipe off the excess from pins with a q-tip.)

Award-Winning Axiom: